Edit Contact Through API without ID

I have devised an API call to CREATE a contact in mautic when a contact is added in my CRM. My problem is that I cannot send an EDIT contact call when their information changes in my CRM unless I know the mautic ID. My CRM does not not know the mautic ID and their is no way i can see to call it. Some of the Automation systems I have seen allow you to make calls via another key identifier like my CRM’s contact ID but I don’t see a way to do that here.

Anyone have an ideas?

I have devised an API call to CREATE a contact in mautic when a contact is added in my CRM. My problem is that I cannot send an EDIT contact call when their information changes in my CRM unless I know the mautic ID. My CRM does not not know the mautic ID and their is no way i can see to call it. Some of the Automation systems I have seen allow you to make calls via another key identifier like my CRM’s contact ID but I don’t see a way to do that here.

Anyone have an ideas?

Edit a contact by another key would be really nice to have. But for now, it can be done by 2 API requests. Firstly you search for the contact, get the ID and then you can edit it.