Installation Problems on LEMP Stack

Disclaimer: I’m an amateur when it comes to server management. With good tutorials, I can usually pull it off.

So I have VPS with Digital Ocean running a LEMP stack.

Nginx 1.4.6 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Current PHP version: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.6

tools.o6n.com works. PHP files can be found and what not.

tools.o6n.com/mautic/ is where I’ve placed the files using git, I’ve tried sftp too, no luck.

Initially had some permission issues with cache and log folders. Changed permissions and got past that.

I’ve installed composer, gave me problems until I brought curl up to date.

Anyway, I’m simply getting a 404 error on the install page.

See here: http://tools.o6n.com/mautic/

What am I doing wrong??

Disclaimer: I’m an amateur when it comes to server management. With good tutorials, I can usually pull it off.

So I have VPS with Digital Ocean running a LEMP stack.
Nginx 1.4.6 on Ubuntu 14.04.
Current PHP version: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.6

tools.o6n.com works. PHP files can be found and what not.
tools.o6n.com/mautic/ is where I’ve placed the files using git, I’ve tried sftp too, no luck.
Initially had some permission issues with cache and log folders. Changed permissions and got past that.
I’ve installed composer, gave me problems until I brought curl up to date.

Anyway, I’m simply getting a 404 error on the install page.
See here: http://tools.o6n.com/mautic/

What am I doing wrong??

Hi Ardit:

To me it looks like you probably have a server config issue most likely related to the fact you’re running Nginx instead of apache as your web server.

By default Mautic comes with a .htaccess file which acts on Apache’s webserver for mod_rewrite. Nginx doesn’t have mod_rewrite so you’ll need to configure Nginx to do the same things as mod_rewrite.

To set this up and make it work, check out Symfony’s guide on configuring Nginx:

http://symfony.com/doc/current/cookbook/configuration/web_server_configuration.html#nginx

And you’ll need to make some changes. They have notes on app.php and app_dev.php. We don’t use those, we use index.php and index_dev.php, so you need to change their guidelines to be directed to those files.

Also, we have .htaccess files to prevent direct access to:

app/logs
app/cache
app/config

You should use nginx to prevent direct access to these directories as well for security reasons.

I tried following their example. Didn’t do it for me. It’s definitely a configuration problem, but it’s above my knowledge levels.

I’ve officially given up on this happening for now. I’ll put together a new VPS with a LAMP stack and I’ll see where that takes me.

Thanks for the help though.

Hi Ardit

I feel your pain

I’ve literally spent all day dinking around with nginx via vagrant and run into tons of issues with permissions, routing, etc… Its not quite as easy as it seems for sure!

I’m still working on it and also writing a tutorial which, as soon as I get it working, I will happily share with you.

That said, Apache will likely be a far easier route to go at this point if you want to get up and running quickly.

Hi Ardit

Another reply here, I’ve finally been ale to get Mautic to run on Nginx! I wrote a guide which you can view here:

https://docs.google.com/a/websparkinc.com/document/d/1DwaHnlMtDAzZ9jHe98M_Z33cYrLmnKNPr0ydZPG_wy4/edit#

If you have the spare time and want to play around with it, I’d love your feedback so we can improve the document as a resource for anyone who wishes to do this. I’d recommend using the vagrant box so you don’t need to mess around with your production VPS.

Cheers!

This is great!

I’m going to run through it this weekend and I’ll let you know what happens.

Took me a while to get to this, but I tried it with no luck. 404 error…

I fared better with a LAMP stack on DigitalOcean. Still had some hoops to jump thru to get everything going

Glad to hear it!

One trick I figured out recently: If you use the Wordpress image from Digital ocean, and then just don’t install wordpress and upload Mautic instead, it’ll save you tons of time. The build comes with pretty much everything you need for Mautic. I had to set PHP Timezone and set up DNS, that was it. Pretty simple, great results.