Mautic Development Direction

I really really need to take the time to learn “all” of the ins and outs of Mautic. I understand it, but need to learn more about marketing automation in general.

This forum needs more people that fully understand all of it to provide support. I am learning, but need to devote more time to it.

[quote=22222:@manageit]I really really need to take the time to learn “all” of the ins and outs of Mautic. I understand it, but need to learn more about marketing automation in general.

This forum needs more people that fully understand all of it to provide support. I am learning, but need to devote more time to it.[/quote]

It would be nice to have someone to boot out the @abbs arseholes and get people to post their issues in a format that includes standard information like version of Mautic, contents of Settings -> System Info -> Log, version of PHP, steps taken to recreate the issue, etc. There is so little information that those that want to debug the issues don’t want to spend 2, 4, or 6 posts just to get the basic information to start the debug.

I see several roles and that is one of them. The EDANT pattern is probably a good one to follow:

The EDANT Pattern

Typically this is used by the tech in support to create a trouble ticket on behalf of the customer, but this is open source so the burden is on the customer to provide the information. The information they need to provide should be as detailed as possible and follow this pattern:

• Environment - include OS distribution and version, database version, PHP version, and the version of Mautic. Plus, VPS, baremetal, FTP or SSH access. Provide step by step instructions on how to gather this information

• Description - Describe the problem in as much detail and be precise is possible. When did it start? What action lead to the failure? What is the impact? Enable MySQL query logging, enable detailed webserver logging (Apache’s LogLevel trace8), provide Mautic log (in Mautic click Settings -> System Info -> Logs)… — currently the information provided is severely lacking.

• Actions - List of the actions the user took to try and resolve the problem, step by step, in detail. Include screen shots. Did they make it worse? On the right path? — we don’t have the time to guess over and over trying to recreate the problem, we need detailed steps to retrace.

• Next Steps - What does the user plan on doing next? Hiring someone to fix the problem? What is the timeframe? Move to the free hosting? Continue to work with a volunteer to help them get it working? — we can use this information to better address their goals.

• Test Case - most important of all, the exact steps taken to recreate the problem. Describe each step in so much detail that I’ll take less than a minute to recreate the problem.

@manageit and @redneckbob,
I’m back!!!

I’ve project managed the renovation of my apartment over the line, and moved in over Easter, and am now drawing breathe, loving my new space, and am keen to get on with all the great things we’ve been talking about.

It would be great to get MxyzptlkFishStix involved in this. He is clearly an expert user, and while he can be a bit brusque at times, he certainly knows his stuff. Thoughts?

@redneckbob, all down with promoting the use of the EDANT pattern or something similar.

@manageit, as I’ve said in the past, I’m happy to share what I know of MA with you. I spent the last 2.5 years working with the best MA Agency in New Zealand, and have now gone out on my own. Like you, I am still trying to get to understand all the ins and outs of Mautic, but I can certainly speak to some of the broader concepts of MA. I’m operating on NZST currently (GMT/UTC +12 hours). Let me know what time works - I’m sure we’ll find something that suits both of us. Best to reach me on jo.pitts@motam.co.nz

Cheers
Jo

Welcome back! Congratulations on the renovation and move. Moving is never fun.

All this new wave marketing is still a bit foreign to me, so I’m curious what tool(s) did you use at that agency what what type of services did they provide?

I’ve tried a bunch over the last 2 months, from free not-very-good CRMs like Zurmo, SugarCRM, vTiger, and some of the mid-tier tools like bpm’online, inboundnow, and a handful that I don’t remember, and one tier tool (HubSpot). Actually used HubSpot for a month or two but then I stumbled across Mautic.

Now that you’ve gone out on your own, what type of services are you providing?