Mautic Development Direction

@JoPitts and @redneckbob ,

I decided to make this a private conversation so we don’t get more broken record.

We all agree on the general idea of better planning and and a defined major/minor version differentiation. i.e… Features introduced in Major versions, Fixes/Enhancements in Minor versions. So I though maybe we could use this thread to fully flesh out a full solid proposal, then we go to Slack to present it, and hopefully garner the dev team support.

To get on slack go here: https://www.mautic.org/slack/ , enter your email, and you will shortly later receive your invitation.

Sound like a plan?

@JoPitts and @redneckbob ,

I decided to make this a private conversation so we don’t get more broken record.

We all agree on the general idea of better planning and and a defined major/minor version differentiation. i.e… Features introduced in Major versions, Fixes/Enhancements in Minor versions. So I though maybe we could use this thread to fully flesh out a full solid proposal, then we go to Slack to present it, and hopefully garner the dev team support.

To get on slack go here: https://www.mautic.org/slack/ , enter your email, and you will shortly later receive your invitation.

Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a plan. Think I’m going to hang out on slack for a bit and get acquainted with everyone.

Thanks setting this up and I’ve accepted my invitation.

Yes getting active on Slack will be good for all of us, especially as we move forward. As the dev team will likely ignore us if they dont know us, and get the feeling we are telling them to change " just because we say so", rather than as an attempt to provide value.

Agreed. Plus, I don’t know the reasons for such a shitty buggy broken release process. Hard for me to recommend fixes without knowing the issues.

Also think there should be a “level 2 support” of sorts between the devs and users, but providing that level of skill at $0 isn’t sustainable.

Maybe more people should use the free hosted version @ maultic.net. Let be honest, most are not skilled enough to set this up and when you couple that with buggy releases and inadequate documentation, it creates a mess and the product looks bad.

There is an arms race in marketing automation right now and they are trying to feature compete with the big boys sitting on piles of VC money rather than spending time polishing their existing codebase.

Both,
sounds like a grand idea. I’m pressed for time at the moment, but after easter I’ll crack in like a mad man!

Sounds good Jo, enjoy your Easter.

My general idea is basically we create a Google Doc Proposal. In it we outline the idea, benefits, alternatives, and risks. AKA a full standard business proposal so that we can make this a business decision for the dev team versus (abb’s and others) simply whining.

@manageit ,
I think we need to get their buy in before hitting them with any kind of proposal. We don’t want the devs to be blind sided/feel bullied (This doesn’t mean we can’t work on it in the back ground).

Maybe we should spend some time on slack, and get to know the key players, then we can try and broach ‘a better way’ with them

Fully agreed. That is where the getting known on Slack comes into play. We need to get known, provide useful support to them. So that when we are ready to show them a proposal, they know us, and hopefully we have gained enough respect for them to consider it. If we go in blind, they will ignore us. This process may take a while, but if we do it correctly it will benefit everyone.

Schweet. I’ll get my ass on Slack :slight_smile:

BTW, a little introduction: My name is Mike. I own a small(but quickly growing) IT consulting firm.

I’m Jo. I own a small and slowly growing Marketing Automation consulting firm (mind you, percentage growth looks phenomonal - that’s the joy of being a start up)

Also, as an FYI - I’ve decided not to engage with abb, unless it is to get him off other users backs!
Cheers
Jo

Yes, I have given up on abb. He confuses me, his ideas are sound, but his methods are those of the very 14 year olds he likes to bash.

Good to meet you two, I’m Jim. An old UNIX head and long time coder, self employed for many years, and drifting into management. Used my ole Redneck account once abb really started bashing Mautic. Each time I’d poke him the louder he’d get and figured the mod would have nuked him by now, but apparently there are no mods. So much for that strategy :frowning:

Slack is interesting, not sure what to make of it all. There is a lot of chatter there too. Actually, I’m not sure what to think about Mautic. Did some googling and found they recently received $5M in VC funding and one of their existing revenue streams is delivering customizations for their bigger customers. One customer is tracking 100M Contacts in Mautic.

I introduced myself to John Linhart who seems to be a major contributor (https://github.com/escopecz?tab=repositories) and asked who was in charge of the forums. He was super friendly, but didn’t know who managed the forums. He is in Prague, but said that he would pass my contact info to the “day crew” who would follow up.

Haven’t heard anything yet.

Yes John is a very highly respected person in the community. He used to be very active on the forum, but seems less so lately.

A Jeff Seevers reached out yesterday and today I noticed that abb is gone. Guys like abb don’t go easily, so he’ll probably be back.

I suspect it wears on him after awhile, everyone wants immediate help. And, for free.

Yes Jeff is the Mautic Marketing Manager. He is who wrote the Code of Conduct. I suspect our posts about abb’s approach would deter users from asking questions, and abb’s attacks on Mautic on threads that were asking for help forced Jeff’s hand. He reached out to me about if I would be interested in helping moderate, after they work out a process for it.

Hey, that is great. I’ll vote for you to be a mod. This place needs a bit of cleaning up especially if it continues to grow.