Who REALLY uses Mautic

All,

I seem to run into headache after headache trying to do the most basic of things. If people were really using Mautic, these things would clearly come up daily.

My searching documentation, experimenting with the tool, and use of forums is consistently not very helpful.

So, my simple question is; Who REALLY uses Mautic in this community - and for what??

As an FYI - I have recently finished up a role as CIO for one of New Zealand’s leading data analytics and marketing automation firm. I’m not suggesting that means I know it all, but I do know a decent amount. I am now starting my own small business helping companies leverage their data for Marketing Automation. I desperately want Mautic to be awesome, and will guide, test, advise, and challenge until it is! But right now, my frustration levels are really high when trying to do basic things, and then get help with them,

Regards

Jo

All,
I seem to run into headache after headache trying to do the most basic of things. If people were really using Mautic, these things would clearly come up daily.

My searching documentation, experimenting with the tool, and use of forums is consistently not very helpful.

So, my simple question is; Who REALLY uses Mautic in this community - and for what??

As an FYI - I have recently finished up a role as CIO for one of New Zealand’s leading data analytics and marketing automation firm. I’m not suggesting that means I know it all, but I do know a decent amount. I am now starting my own small business helping companies leverage their data for Marketing Automation. I desperately want Mautic to be awesome, and will guide, test, advise, and challenge until it is! But right now, my frustration levels are really high when trying to do basic things, and then get help with them,

Regards
Jo

I still have my mautic installation on my server, but I don’t really use it any more, because I don’t feel I can count on it.

Just like you, I spent hours and hours learning it, testing it, reading documentations, asking and searching for answers on the internet and in this forum, but in the end, I realized I spend more time trying to make mautic work than working on work itself. So I use Sendy now, it is elegant and reliable, no more wasted time.

I still keep an eye on mautic, maybe one day it will live up to its promises.

We use it a lot we have about 80k leads in Mautic now
We do about $50k/ month in paid advertising on Google and Facebook.
So we have built some more advanced stuff for utm reporting because we could not do that im Aweber and that way we can see which of our campaigns in Google and Facebook performs best.

But I really recommend to install Mautic with postfix locally with Amazon if you have a lot of emails going out from Mautic.

I use Mautic for all Marketing Automation for our company.
And i also move more that 30 companies worldwide to use Mautic.

@ninjoan

How do I build a report for a campaign only ???
This is now possible is not it?

@MxyzptlkFishStix , I take your point.

As an FYI - I’ve submitted one bug, and asked multiple (often unanswered) questions (as well as trying to answer a few where my expertise will allow).

I’m trying to understand the real world use cases that Mautic is good for. You’ll notice in the OP of this thread, I asked what the ‘what’ question. What are people actually using Mautic for. I want to know so that I can understand how best to a. leverage the product and b. contribute ideas for it’s future growth.

You may have noticed that I asked two questions yesterday. There have been zero responses to either by those in the know. I guess I’m looking for help (quite desperately in fact). Does this mean Mautic can’t do what I am looking for, does it mean I’m dense (quite probably), or just that no one knows the answers?

Cheers
Jo

@imautic, unfortunately, I want to do way more than news letter sending. I notionally love the idea around all the forms, campaign management features etc. of Mautic… I just seem to keep getting roadblocked and then not being able to get any help on how to get past the roadblocks.

Hi, I don’t know if I’m in the right thread to ask this. I’m totally new to mautic and fairly new to IM overall. I’m excited to have discovered this but I don’t know if it best to get started with the Mautic.com service while I learn. If I build up to the 5000 contacts what would the pricing be? Or would I be able to tranfer them to my own .org control??? Any body know or should I ask in a different thread? Thanks

JIm

@jim4jesus ,
try this page

Regards
Jo

@martinstrom can you describe more about how you are using Mautic? What way you are sending emails? How do you integrate i trace ad campaign using Mautic? Some kind case-study will be great.

I know what you mean, I love advanced marketing automation features too, I have a lot of experience with commercial marketing automation tools such as Pardot and Act-On, that is why I was so excited when I found out about Mautic, thinking it would be a similar experience. .

I soon found out that some most fundamental features are missing from Mautic, for example:

• Its campaign reports are inadequate, they can’t even tell you who opened your email and who didn’t, or which emails got sent or which ones didn’t.
  • There is no builtin double opt-in mechanism, you have to set up a campaign to simulate it, and it does not always work.
  • Things work today might stop working tomorrow mysteriously and nobody knows why. As an example, read this thread: https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/6553-scheduled-broadcasts-didn-t-send/
  • Complicated cron jobs
  • Bad documentations

I tried hard to work around these limitations, but in the end, I had to use other solutions for now. Hopefully Mautic can address these deficiencies soon so I can really use it as my everyday marketing tool. In the meantime, Wordpress with gravity forms, Sendy and some free CRMs online have proved to be a very robust marketing automation system for me.

@imautic, I guess my view is that I’d rather commit and contribute to Mautic to make it a great tool, rather than ditch it and have to shoehorn multiple components together just to try and sort of get something working.

Cheers

@JoPitts I have several small installs humming along and recently finished migrating my largest client (~75K list / ~1M/month email volume) to it. All of their lead generation and bulk sends run through Mautic now without any major issues.

Like any OSS project that’s relatively early in the development phase there are going to be pain points until it matures. As adoption continues to grow they will be less and less common, but I wouldn’t get discouraged in the mean-time. I don’t know what your specific issues are but if you continue raising them (have you tried posting on Slack?) I’m sure you’ll get the answers you need.

@imautic I understand your sentiment, but I’d disagree with several points such as a simple double opt-in campaign sometimes not working (because I run one in production) or cron jobs being complicated. Mautic not being 100% ready for marketers does not mean that it’s not ready for everyone. More detailed campaign reporting can easily be accomplished with SQL for example, as Mautic is storing all of the relevant data in the database even though there might not be a front-end display for it yet. As a low-effort workaround you could also apply unique tags within the campaigns to track who opens what.

@JConnell ,
I am slowly getting there with Mautic - and each release is better than the next (and my understanding continues to slowly grow).

I do think creating ‘recipes’ for a variety of use cases would have immense value. Once my expertise is sufficient, I’ll start working on a few of these.

Regards

@JoPitts
I’m guessing, you will agree with the basic assertion I posted in this thread here:
https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/7236-any-mautic-version-that-doesn-t-end-with-9-is-not-fit-for-use-i

There has never been a single version of Mautic that is actually fit for use in a production environment in business.
And your headaches with the exceedingly poor documentation underline just one part of the issue.
The root cause of the problem is management.
It’s because of the systemic, structural issue with the management that Mautic is NOT fit for use in a production environment in business and that will remain that way UNLESS and UNTIL the structural management issue gets fixed.

Until then Mautic will remain just a nice idea
but nothing you can actually use in a production environment in business.

[quote=21618:@abb]@JoPitts
I’m guessing, you will agree with the basic assertion I posted in this thread here:
https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/7236-any-mautic-version-that-doesn-t-end-with-9-is-not-fit-for-use-i

There has never been a single version of Mautic that is actually fit for use in a production environment in business.
And your headaches with the exceedingly poor documentation underline just one part of the issue.
The root cause of the problem is management.
It’s because of the systemic, structural issue with the management that Mautic is NOT fit for use in a production environment in business and that will remain that way UNLESS and UNTIL the structural management issue gets fixed.

Until then Mautic will remain just a nice idea
but nothing you can actually use in a production environment in business.[/quote]

Have you contributed any documentation?

Before I contribute anything to the documentation, at least all of the 4 “wheels” on the Mautic “car” must be turning.
[h]At least 2 “wheels” on the Mautic “car” are broken or stuck and there has never been a version of the Mautic “car” with all wheels turning.[/h]
Instead, they constantly add versions with new features akin to a completely new model of car.
There has never been a version of the Mautic “car” that’s actually fit for purpose i.e. use in a production environment in business.
Until that happens, contributing to the documentation would be a stupid waste of time.
And at present, there’s no indication that Mautic might ever release a “car” in the future with all wheels turning.

However, once they get serious about releasing a version that’s actually fit for use in a production environment in business, THEN I’ll gladly contribute to the documentation. Doing it otherwise would be plain STUPID.

Also, most of the time my contribution to the documentation would be limited to asking what certain things mean and how they are supposed to work.
Without knowing that I could hardly contribute anything meaningful to the documentation, could I?

[quote=21377:@JoPitts]@imautic, I guess my view is that I’d rather commit and contribute to Mautic to make it a great tool, rather than ditch it and have to shoehorn multiple components together just to try and sort of get something working.

Cheers[/quote]
Those two options are not mutually exclusive. You can contribute to Mautic and also find another solution that works for your marketing needs right now. If you want to stick with Mautic exclusively even though it does not work for you satisfactorily, that is your choice.