Strange contacts with no name just numbers coming from somewhere

I’m just starting with Mautic and have setup a form on our “under construction” page which is generating some leads. BUt I’m noticing a large number of strange contacts appearing with names like " 594ab96a938db 594ab96a9391c "

IN history there is no mention of any form through which these came.

Where could these be coming from?

Here is what one looks like:

I’m just starting with Mautic and have setup a form on our “under construction” page which is generating some leads. BUt I’m noticing a large number of strange contacts appearing with names like " 594ab96a938db 594ab96a9391c "

IN history there is no mention of any form through which these came.

Where could these be coming from?

Here is what one looks like:

I just posted a similar issue after upgrading to 2.9.0. I had to revert to 2.8.2. My names are not as random as yours but they may be coming from already existing contacts in the db that are then being combined to form new names.

This has been happening it seems for a while. I just hadn’t been checking it. It was certainly happening before upgrading, which I just did today.

In addition to these contacts with numbers I also have contacts with the same data for first and last name ( e.g.
Jerry Mcpherson Jerry Mcpherson) which also have no source identified in the record.

They are definitely not coming from existing contacts.

Same here. And we are using the online version.

I see only two possibilities:

1. They come through a landing page form, but through some sort of back door which does not show up in the contact history
  2. they are coming through some other back door into mautic.

They are some sort of bot spamming my db, but where are they getting in is the question. It seems there could be some security issue here.

Of course we an delete them, but they skew the reports as well, even after the contacts are deleted.

@Libring Since you are using the hosted version, have you raised this issue?

@escopecz I hope you don’t mind me tagging you in this thread. I noticed in another thread you mentioned spammers and I’m wondering if this is what we are experiencing and how to prevent it as we can’t tell which form they are coming through.

I don’t think those are coming from a form submission. There isn’t such event in the timeline. It seems the data (email and the odd name) come from the tracking script. So those should be defined by the tracking pixel.

1. Do you have the Fingerprint turned on at the Mautic configuration?
  2. What is in the details of those 2 events?
  3. Did you copy-pasted the tracking script to your website yourself or do you use some plugin?
  4. Can you provide a link to the website you track?

THank you so much for responding @escopecz !

IN answer:

1. Fingerprint is not turned on
  2. UNfortunately, I deleted that contact so I can’t give any further details than what is in the image in my initial post. I exported it before deleting, but that only contains the contact details.
  3. I’m using the WP Mautic plugin
  4. THe site is beta.chantnow.com - it has not yet launched. I do have a mautic form on chantnow.com , but no tracking code

Thank you again for your help.

When I open your beta website, I can see:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://mautic.chantnow.com/mtc/event. Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://beta.chantnow.com' is therefore not allowed access. (index):1655

in the Chrome Dev Tools Console. I’m surprised you are getting any information form the tracking at all. Add your website’s URL to the CORS settings at Mautic configuration.

Thank you.

I inserted the url in the CORS setting.

Here is a pic of more of these random contacts that have appeared in the last few days:

I’m not finding any details other than the example at the beginning of the thread.

I checked a few of the email addresses at https://cleantalk.org/blacklists and they came up as spam, some 50x

What is in the page hit event details of one of the spammy contacts?

I don’t see any “page hit event” in the timeline, only for example:

Contact identified Yesterday, 6:00 pm
87.118.116.90 Accessed from IP Yesterday, 6:00 pm
Contact created Yesterday, 6:00 pm

Should I be looking somewhere else. Please pardon my ignorance, but I’m just learning about the tracking features. The above example is from before I put in our URL in the CORS field, so perhaps the next one that comes in will have more info.

I don’t understand where those contacts come from then. Sorry.

Maybe look at your server’s access log and search for one of the numbers to see what request made them.

Thanks that’s a good idea

Hi
This is also happening to me but with a client that i use a WordPress Newsletter Plugin.
I don´t think this is related to Mautic but with some bad intentions.
I think that is a script that simulates newsletters subscritions with some email that was bought or got haverest in sites, forums, etc. And some i think that they are spam traps used by ISP to catch spamers.
I think, in our case, is a competitor trying to ruine our email sending reputation.
If a lot of people mark our emails as spam, our emails spot gettting delivered.
We are helping our client growing a lot in the market and some people are not happy.
See this image - http://imgur.com/a/tAYCY - for some of that fake subscribers on our newsletter.
I can´t tell you exactly what we do to deal with this because i don´t know who is reading.
But in Mautic, you work with filters and campaigns.

Paulo

@Paulogon try this https://www.mautic.org/community-blog/eliminate-spambots-using-the-honeypot-method/ maybe you have spambots

Ninjoan, i don´t have this problem on any of my Mautic installations.
My issue is with a WordPress Newsletter Plugin.
I just posted to try to explain that might not be a Mautic issue. But a spam issue.
I can´t use Captcha on my WP because it decreases conversion rate.
But i have found a way on the WP plugin.
But thanks for the link.

Paulo

@escopecz I’ve isolated the problem, I think.

In our beta development installation we are using Gravity Forms along with a WP plugin that sends the info to Mautic ( WP Mautic Form Integrator). On our main site we display an under construction page with a Mautic form manually embedded in it.

I first deactivated the WP Mautic form integrator. But I still got these random spam contacts. I then replaced the Mautic form on our under construction page with Ninja forms and the spam contacts stopped.

So my conclusion is that they were getting in through the Mautic form code on the under construction page.

I’m not planning on using native Mautic form code on our site as the Gravity Forms integration has advantages. So this should solve the issue.

However, I suggest it would be worth looking at how to best protect native Mautic forms from spam contacts.