Ability to send a campaign email reply on a previous email thread

My idea is: the ability to send emails in reply to a previous email, keeping everything in one thread for the recipient. The common use case would be that you send an email, if there’s no reply in x days, follow-up with a reply on the previous thread. We can currently send a follow-up email, but it’s not threaded, it’s a totally seperate new email.

I think these groups of people would benefit from this idea: anyone who sends drip campaigns would benefit from this. Recipients are far more likely to respond if they see a threaded conversation that looks like a real person sent it. Also, many other tools do this, including Reply App, Outreach, and others.

Any code or resources to support this idea: In order to do this we’d need to track the previous email ID from the client that sent it and then automatically append an ‘In-Reply-To’ email header to the reply email. I don’t think it’s that complicated…we could create a new action type ‘Send Reply Email’ and that would include the requisite ‘In-Reply-To’ header with the ID of the last email sent to the contact in the campaign.

Are you willing to work on this idea?: Yes, but my technical skills are limited

What skills and resources do you need to explore this further? I think the main Mautic engineers would at least have to outline the desired architecture for this. If I had that I could probably get it done…

This seems to be a pretty good overview of how the email header works: https://wesmorgan.blogspot.com/2012/07/understanding-email-headers-part-ii.html

Is there any update on this? Otherwise, Is it possible to integrate into the custom headers some custom fields for the In-Reply-To and Message-ID (and generate email ids this way ) to create a sequence of emails in the same thread?

Hi, we are experiencing the same challenge and are willing to understand more about how this could be achieved.
Is there any update? @gabe, did you find any solution to the above?

I just posted the idea here. I haven’t made any attempts to actually implement it. This is a feature that is present in pretty much every other marketing automation solution so I’m sure it would get a lot of use. If someone more knowledgable about Mautic code wants to work on this, that would be fantastic!

Also, I’d be willing to contribute to a bounty for anyone that wants to implement this. Maybe if enough of us get together we can make the prize big enough for the coders to take on…

1 Like

Hi @gabe , @traducanu did you ever implement this?

If not, I don’t mind opening the wallet if we can do it together.

I have not implemented it. I would also be open to spending a little bit of money to get this done. We’ve worked with @kuzmany before for custom bug fixes and features. Anyone else willing to contribute to the cause?

Hi @gabe , since you have worked with @kuzmany in the past, could you get us a quote for this?

Speaking generally, if you send a second email to the same recipients adding only “RE:” before the same subject, do most popular email services automatically add it to the existing thread?

Or is that strictly based on the send side?

EP

Hi @gabe, @CarlJohan, if we can fund it together, we would also be willing to contribute the cause.
Do you know anyone capable of estimating the work/cost required?

Hi @Pegasus , glad you are onboard. I don’t know of anyone that can actually do this, sorry.

@kuzmany Do you have a sense of how much it would cost to implement something like this?

WOW, I noticed your Plugin, GitHub - karser/MauticColdEmailOutreachBundle: Send follow-ups in the same email thread for any A/B test variation !
Sounds exciting, can’t wait to test it!

Hi @joeyk , did you test the plugin?

Anyone got that solution since im also looking for this exact solution