Attribution Fields

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to figure out how the Attribution and Attribution date fields are populated. Are they simply setup as hidden form fields that will populate the Contact fields when a form is posted? I can not seem to find any clear documentation. I presume that once I can get these 2 fields populated, I will be able to generate data in the attribution reports. I am especially curious to see how the multi-attribution report looks, since it must pull data from the event record rather than the contact record (which only stores 1 value). Thank you for any insight and info in advance.

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to figure out how the Attribution and Attribution date fields are populated. Are they simply setup as hidden form fields that will populate the Contact fields when a form is posted? I can not seem to find any clear documentation. I presume that once I can get these 2 fields populated, I will be able to generate data in the attribution reports. I am especially curious to see how the multi-attribution report looks, since it must pull data from the event record rather than the contact record (which only stores 1 value). Thank you for any insight and info in advance.

Had the same questions, I found the answer in the blog thanks to @brandner

Thanks for the link ihackalot. But I’m still not quite sure how to best implement what was described in the blog using the new fields.

Does anyone have any specific examples for practical application?

The blog link above is broken. Here is the updated link to that blog post: https://mautic.com/resources/blog/why-is-marketing-attribution-a-big-deal/

However, the blog post doesn’t explain the definition of the Attribution and Attribution Date fields on the Contact or how those fields are populated.

Did anyone figure this out? The linked article only describes what attribution is. So unless you’re meant to fill in the attribution field (in edit contact) by hand for every contact I’m not sure how you’re supposed to get it working. I feel like this should be connected to points or stages. Both the attribution and the attribution date should somehow be set by actions, for instance when someone reaches 100 points or visits a specific url it triggers the attribution.

Just seems like the feature is broken or incomplete. Would be cool if it worked, really useful, especially with the dashboard widgets.

Please if someone has any pointers or tips on how to solve this please let the rest of us know. The only solution I see is to dig in the code and figure out what’s what.

no word, anyone?

I would like to know this too. There are two fields in the database attribution and attribution_date. But I do not see a way in the UI to set these, nor there is a way in the API.

Have the same question.

As I could understand, attribution should be filled with the campaign, the way a lead was converted, and so the date it happened, and we could report what campaign was more successful, etc. Is that it?

Maybe it should be filled once the contact is sent to the CRM/Sales system.

I keep seeing this page in the search results when trying to figure out Mautic attribution so I decided to update this post with the exact answer.

Basically it records the conversion value for the person with a date when you send that to mautic for a contact. You can optionally send just the conversion value and the current date will be used. Then IF that was recorded the attribution reports can report on the first touch, last touch or all the touches:

/**
     * If there is an attribution amount but no date, insert today's date.
     */
    public function checkAttributionDate()
    {
        $attribution     = $this->getFieldValue('attribution');
        $attributionDate = $this->getFieldValue('attribution_date');

if (!empty($attribution) && empty($attributionDate)) {
            $this->addUpdatedField('attribution_date', (new \DateTime())->format('Y-m-d'));
        } elseif (empty($attribution) && !empty($attributionDate)) {
            $this->addUpdatedField('attribution_date', null);
        }
    }

This is where I found the answer:

The attribution reports are based on campaign decisions (when a contact took action or had a touchpoint). The contact needs to have an attribution date and attribution (dollar value) in their contact profile for the report to pick them up. First touch is when the first decision took place on or before the attribution date. The last touch is the last decision. Multi lists all the decisions.

Thank you @alanhartless

My only remaining question is how do we send info on MULTIPLE conversions? Shouldn’t attribution date and value be a one to many situation?