Automatic lead source tracking

My idea is:

automatically track / tag (new field or tag system) the contact source based on the first browser referral seen, based on some common source lists, eg.:

• coming from google, yahoo, etc. => search engine
  • coming from a common adv (eg. adword) => paid
  • coming from social networks => social
  • any other referral => referral
  • no referral => direct

I think these groups of people would benefit from this idea:
marketing, analysts

Why I think they would benefit from this idea:
monitoring source traffic, roe calculation, etc.

Any code or resources to support this idea:
~something like GitHub - medius/utm_form: Add UTM, referrer, landing page and other information to any lead generation form but it is possible to see this feature in other software

Are you willing to work on this idea?:
Yes, I would like to start working on a PR

What skills and resources do you need to explore this further? -

Hi, I found some closed issues / threads here about this functionality

Thanks in advance

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion! We do already have UTM tracking:

We also merged this PR in Mautic 4:

which should pick up the UTM codes the first time that someone accesses the resources that are being tracked.

Are you suggesting that we should always pick up the referral source and log it based on what is in the browser rather than explicitly look for UTM tags being set?

Hi, thanks for your fast reply.
Yes, maybe not logging the complete referral source (or not only that) but categorizing it against some common lists as done with utm_medium. In that way it would also cover not-paid / not coming with utm parameters traffic

OK gotcha - sounds interesting. I think you would not want it on every visit (at large scale that would add a lot of information, I think, and may not be so relevant) but I can see how the first visit or interaction may be helpful if there are no UTM tags already captured.

Yes, I completely agree, maybe there should also be an option to enable/disable this tracking, while always giving priority to utm tags if set

Yeah - I think having an option to selectively enable it may be a good call, some folk may not want to ‘guess’ if it is not explicitly set.

1 Like

This is a relevant use case.
So this could possibly also be something of an calculated field. That is, stamp a field (Original Source) with an UTM value (Latest Source) if the original value is empty.

Here is a another relevant discussion on the topic:

1 Like