Bounces and complaints ignored

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.0.0
My PHP version is: 7.4.23
My Database type and version is: MariaDB 10.5.11

Your problem
My problem is:
Mautic does not handle our bounces correctly. And most importantly, it ignores all complaints. We use Amazon SES to send mails.
Our bounces are handled by a mailbox specifically set up for this purpose.
unsubscribes via form: ok
unsubscribes per mail: ok
bounces: mautic recognizes (and labels) some bounces but not all
complaints: completely ignored by mautic.

The status of our troubleshooting: Mautic fetches the emails, and reads them. And in some cases (unsubscribes) it handles them perfectly. It also handles some bounces properly, but ignores others.

These errors are showing in the log:
No related errors in Mautic log or server log

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: Tried to use a different inbox but no changes.
I found a list of regular expressions to determine the type of bounce in \app\bundles\EmailBundle\MonitoredEmail\Processor\Bounce\BodyParser.php. Changing or adding things there did not have an effect.

So, the basic function seems to work, since unsubscribes are processed properly, The returned mails are sent to return+bounce_[tracking_hash]@example.com. So that seems to work fine too.

I am trying to identify the step at which the process fails.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Any help with troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I faced something similar (bounces not working as expected) while using Mailgun to send emails. I ended up fixing the plugin myself. In my case some scenarios were not convered so I simplify covered them. You can find out plugin here: < GitHub - mzagmajster/mautic-mailgun-mailer-plugin: Mailgun Email plugin for Mautic with multi-domains support >.

Based on quick search in Mautic core and the issue you are describing, I would say the interesting classes for you to look at are here:

• Mautic\EmailBundle\Swiftmailer\Amazon\AmmazonCallback
  • Mautic\EmailBundle\Swiftmailer\Transport\AmazonApiTransport

You can try to isolated the issue in development environment and provide the fix for this, if you need assistance in such endeavor let me know :).

1 Like

I had a similar problem for a long time. I configured now in Amazon SES to report all bounces via email as well in order for me to confirm. The last couple of months things seem to work fine, suddenly things seem to work. I am though still on Mautic 3. I guess you installed properly the webhook for bounce management.

I have still problems with unsubscribes via email client. When those unsubscribes are coming in (which is depending on the inbox scanning to be recognized) it seems not all of them get processed properly. Seems there are some reliability issues in bounce management and I have no idea to what they are related to.

Thank you so much for your answers.

I could not solve the issue with feedback emails yet, but your posts made me dig deeper into the SNS problem. I found an error message

mautic.ERROR: Uncaught PHP Exception Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\Exception\HttpException: "Key 'Type' not found in payload "

To fix this I had to disable raw message delivery in my SNS subscription. Now complaints are recognized by Mautic as well. At least the one from the Amazon test address.