Email size getting larger and larger when editing (above 500KB)

Your software
My Mautic version is: 3.2.4
My PHP version is: 7.3.24-3+0~20201103.72+debian9~1.gbp945915
My Database type and version is: MariaDB

Your problem
Designing en email requires me several attempts.
I start from a blank theme. Then I add and remove sentences and images until I am satisfied with the result. It happens that I save changes I make on the email draft and use the “Send example” feature to see whether I am satisfied or not.
My issue is that the email size is getting bigger and bigger that email clients won’t immediately display the email (Gmail requires to click on “View entire message”). It sometimes reaches a size above 500KB.

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:
Once I am satisfied with my design after many attempts, my workaround is to create a totally new email, to start again from scratch with blank theme, and to edit the email at once.
When editing at once, the size issue disappears and I can keep my email size below 100 KB.

Is there a way to avoid this workaround?

Hi, quick question - are you using Grammarly?
Sometimes it injects useless code into the editor and bloats your emails.

Thx,
Joey

1 Like

Yes I do use Grammarly.
I just deactivated its Chrome extension and it solved my issue.

Thanks a lot! I mark your reply as the solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe we need to have some kind of warning in the docs or the builder about this kind of behaviour - or some way of sanitising to remove it on save?

It is not Mautic specific issue, happens with Sendy as well, that uses a similar WYSIWYG editor. It would be interesting to test if the new email editor is also affected.
Quick question to @pixgrim : is this the free or payed version of Grammarly? Thx.

1 Like

I am using the free version of Grammarly.

Thank you!
I’ll test with the new builder once it’s out!

1 Like

Since this was the culprit @joeyk , please what do you suggest as best practice when using the Grammarly Google extension, with the email editor?

Thank you

I can’t be helpful, I just stopped using Grammarly at all. Too buggy with certain systems, not just Mautic.
We can try to use it again, once we updated the email builder!

Alright. @joeyk got it. I appreciate