Emoji in subject line differs when using campaigns

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.4.10
My PHP version is: 7.4.33
My Database type and version is: 10.11.5-MariaDB-1:10.11.5+maria~ubu2204

Your problem
My problem is:

Hi!

I believe I’ve read all of the threads about Mautic and Emoji, but I can’t really find the solution - or the specific issue, for that matter.

When I create an email with emojies in the subject line, some emojies render fine when I email the user directly or import the template and send without any additional edits.

However, if I’m using the same template in a campaign, the emoji appears like e.g. :scream: instead of :scream: .

How on earth do I fix this? It’s not all emojies causing trouble, but I’m perplexed as to why it only happens when sending by campaign.

Checking PHPadmin, my DB is collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci, which should be the right one according to older threads regarding subject line emoji support.

Thanks
// Anders

Hi Anders,

First of all, welcome to the Mautic forum!

To put it briefly, there is currently no solution available. I encountered the same issue months ago, and I discovered that the problem - if I am not mistaken - is that Mautic is using UTF8 in an instance instead of utf8mb4, which affects the subject.

I believe that in future updates, they will probably fix this, or you can open a report on Mautic’s Github.

Dang.

But what I can’t grasp is that when I load the stored template (with emoji, ofc.) and send it directly, there’s no issues?

If the issue were storing the template as utf8mb4, shouldn’t it affect this use case too, as it would be converted to utf8mb4 upon saving the template?

Also, this particular emoji is utf8 compliant according to [Full Emoji List, v15.1](https://Unicode’s full list).

Could it be fixed by using the HEX or HTML code in the subject line, or perhaps to edit it directly in the DB, replacing :scream: with either HEX, HTML or directly copy/pasting the emoji? Would Mautic be able to load this?