How to remove Mautic 2 plugins before updating to Mautic 3?

The first test install of Mautic 3.0 was a fresh one on an AWS Lightsail instance. It failed because of the error saying something like

Too many rows in a table …

Unfortunately I did not look what database and which version was installed at that time.

The second time I cloned my Mautic 2.16.3 Lightsail install on Amazon AWS and tried an update. The update recommendation said I should uninstall or deactivate my installed plugins because they are probably not compatible with the new version 3.

I tried to find information on how to do that but could not really find a clear instruction. After deleting the plugins and cache the Mautic install broke.

I cloned again and then tried to install over the warnings. Besides quite a bit of time outs the install kept on going and finished with the message below.

What is the right way to delete plugins?

@ventilator Thanks for reaching out here!

The correct way to delete plugins prior to the Mautic 3 upgrade would be:

  • Delete the plugin from your filesystem (remove the whole folder from the plugins folder). This is the only way to 100% make sure that the plugin is removed.
  • Clear cache, best is if you completely remove the app/cache/prod folder in your Mautic 2 installation so that there’s no traces left from the plugin.

I just tested this on a production instance while upgrading from 2.16.3 to 3.0.1 and it worked as expected :slight_smile: please let us know if it works for you as well!

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for responding to the problem.
I’m pretty sure I already followed the procedure you recommend.
I thought maybe it’s best to show you exactly what I did:

Updating Mautic 2.16.3 to version 3.0.1 on Amazon Lightsail on 4 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs, 80 GB SSD Plesk Hosting Stack on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, My SQL 5.7.30 and Php version 7.3.19

I took a snapshot from my instance and cloned it:

In the new instance I deactivated all Cron jobs so no emails could get sent out by campaigns.

I changed the URL from to

I pointed the DNS server on Cloudflare to my new subdomain

I secured the new subdomain with let’s encrypt.

I of course encountered this error then when I tried to open the Mautic instance because the URLs in the local.php file still pointed to the original Mautic instance:

After changing all the URLs in local.php and emptying the cache folder in app > cache, I could login to the cloned Mautic install.

After clicking the update notification in the upper left corner I got these warnings:

I removed everything from the plugin folder

and the cache folder

When I tried to access Mautic then I got this screen:

That’s where I am stuck.
I tried a server restart but that did not change anything.