Manually created contact doesnt track when opening links send via email channel

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.4.9
My PHP version is: 8.0.29
My Database type and version is: 10.6.12-MariaDB

Your problem
My problem is:
I have created a contact manually entering name and email. I add to a segment and then send an email to the segment via channel email. The email includes links to my website. The email link works correctly (and it has a mautic link that then refers to the destination url).

The problem is it creates a new anonymous contact that tracks the website visits. It doesnt show the visits to the website in the history of the manually created contact that was emailed. Surely mautic knows the email has been sent to the contact I created, and the url link in the email allows it to link the opened webpage with the contact that was emailed ? but it’s not doing this.

Any ideas ? or is this just the way mautic is designed ?

Are you testing in an incognito browser, or while logged out of mautic? Mautic will ignore traffic from a logged in user by design.

Mautic is designed to assign history that stems from a click on a link in a mautic derived email, to the recipient of the email.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. I used a different browser (firefox instead of chrome) where I’m not logged into mautic. It records the first click on the url and associates that correctly with the contact that was emailed through the segment email.

BUT subsequent pages on the same website then create and show in an anonymous contact history, not the same contact. Only the first visit.

Here’s the contact I manually created that was emailed, and it shows the page hit at 10:42pm correctly

but then subsequent pages I visit in the same session and browser (not logged into mautic) result in an anonymous contact being created and recording the further page hits:

Screenshot from 2023-08-10 22-52-54

That is odd.

Check the basics

• Is the tracking script installed correctly?

• Is your domain correctly added to CORS (under configuration)

• Is your browser any kind of ad blockers that could be stopping the tracking script form working?

• test using incognito mode in chrome

• Ae using any kind of VPN that might be scrolling your IP or an caching extensions that might be messing with the tacking script

I’m using the WP Mautic plugin to track within a wordpress website. Released by mautic community and I can see the javascript there when I view the source of the website.

I turned CORS restrictions off, but no change, still happening.

Tried incognito mode, same, still happening. The contacted I emailed shows the page hit from the email link, but it sill creates an anonymous contact as well with a page hit.

No vpn, no ad blockers. Tried firefox and chrome.

Hi,
Greetings of the day,
Could someone please explain how a plugin bundle works, including the flow of data within the bundle, i.e., the process of transferring data from one file to another?
Thanks for your Consideration,
Pranay kumar.

I am fast running out of ideas.

Try adding /index.php at the end of the mautic url in the WP mautic plugin.

Also try disabling WP plugins and see if that helps. Perhaps there is a plugin conflict.

Appreciated, thanks for the guidance. I’ll setup some alternative websites without wordpress and see if the issue is on the wordpress of mautic side (I suspect it’s mautic).

Does anyone know for certain this works correctly elsewhere ? Its Mautic 4.4.9

Working 100% fine on 7 mautics instances of mine, all 4.4.9

All tracking a WP site using the mautic plugin