Use external database for Mautic instance

I am looking to setup a new Mautic instance but I want the DB and app to reside on different Ubuntu 16.04 servers. I have both servers stacked up and ready. The DB server is setup to allow communication from the app server.

I ran into the following error when I was running the installer from the app server:

An error occured while attempting to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: Connections using insecure transport are prohibited while --require_secure_transport=ON.

I have researched it a little bit and it seems like I need to require PDO to use secure connections to the DB even though the app runs over HTTPS.

I was wondering if anybody has used an external database for their Mautic instance and could provide insight on how they made a secure connection to it from the app server?

I am looking to setup a new Mautic instance but I want the DB and app to reside on different Ubuntu 16.04 servers. I have both servers stacked up and ready. The DB server is setup to allow communication from the app server.

I ran into the following error when I was running the installer from the app server:

An error occured while attempting to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: Connections using insecure transport are prohibited while --require_secure_transport=ON.

I have researched it a little bit and it seems like I need to require PDO to use secure connections to the DB even though the app runs over HTTPS.

I was wondering if anybody has used an external database for their Mautic instance and could provide insight on how they made a secure connection to it from the app server?