Adding a new lead to Mautic from external source

Hi there,

Just wanted to say HUGE thanks for Mautic and the team behind it.

I have been looking to use an email marketing system and looked at a few of the alternatives, and so far Mautic is at least up there with the rest of them.

It could do with a better drag and drop editor tool (like mailchimp as an example) for building forms / pages /and emails - and ideally be mobile responsive. But for now the current builders are OK, and you can definitely still make what you want.

The campaign builder is awesome! Just love the blank canvas approach and joining the dots to make things happen.

The question I have and advice I am seeking is this.

I am working with a client who is going to provide me with the lead data and I will be running the campaign for him.

They are collecting data from their customers and we have agreed for this project that I only need three data fields:

1. Firstname (standard mautic field)
  2. email (standard mautic field) and
  3. TargetGroup (a custom text field containing the text either “control” or “upgrade” to allow segmentation in the campaign).

I have created a specific lead list for these leads to be received / allocated to

I have already created the custom field in the leads for “TargetGroup” field as I will use that to segment the email campaigns. One group will receive one set of email sequence, the other group will receive a different email sequence.

I have set the campaign up and tested everything manually by manually adding in a lead to the relevant lead list. So far so good. The campaign works and is sending out the 2 sets of targeted emails and ‘dripping’ over time. Awesome!

The challenge I have is “automating” the data input from my client.

He is a developer and can probably send however I want it. The issue is I am NOT a developer so when looking at the API stuff am getting totally confused, and was wondering if there are other ways that he could send directly into the system, that might be easier to setup and not require API?

Otherwise could someone clearly explain how the API would look if he wanted to add a new lead to a specific list with just the three data fields details above?

Remembering for this project all data is collected from outside of Mautic and needs to be input into Mautic into a specific lead list.

Once they are added into Mautic I am confident my campaign is working. The issue is automating getting the leads drip fed into into Mautic from an external source so that it runs by itself as soon as new leads are sent over from my client.

Batching of leads wont work as the user experience would be delayed, the first email is a welcome email which needs to go out as soon as possible after they provide us with their details.

Any help/feedback would be awesome.

Thanks again.

Sincerely

Ray

Hi there,

Just wanted to say HUGE thanks for Mautic and the team behind it.

I have been looking to use an email marketing system and looked at a few of the alternatives, and so far Mautic is at least up there with the rest of them.

It could do with a better drag and drop editor tool (like mailchimp as an example) for building forms / pages /and emails - and ideally be mobile responsive. But for now the current builders are OK, and you can definitely still make what you want.

The campaign builder is awesome! Just love the blank canvas approach and joining the dots to make things happen.

The question I have and advice I am seeking is this.

I am working with a client who is going to provide me with the lead data and I will be running the campaign for him.

They are collecting data from their customers and we have agreed for this project that I only need three data fields:

1. Firstname (standard mautic field)
  2. email (standard mautic field) and
  3. TargetGroup (a custom text field containing the text either “control” or “upgrade” to allow segmentation in the campaign).

I have created a specific lead list for these leads to be received / allocated to
I have already created the custom field in the leads for “TargetGroup” field as I will use that to segment the email campaigns. One group will receive one set of email sequence, the other group will receive a different email sequence.

I have set the campaign up and tested everything manually by manually adding in a lead to the relevant lead list. So far so good. The campaign works and is sending out the 2 sets of targeted emails and ‘dripping’ over time. Awesome!

The challenge I have is “automating” the data input from my client.

He is a developer and can probably send however I want it. The issue is I am NOT a developer so when looking at the API stuff am getting totally confused, and was wondering if there are other ways that he could send directly into the system, that might be easier to setup and not require API?
Otherwise could someone clearly explain how the API would look if he wanted to add a new lead to a specific list with just the three data fields details above?
Remembering for this project all data is collected from outside of Mautic and needs to be input into Mautic into a specific lead list.

Once they are added into Mautic I am confident my campaign is working. The issue is automating getting the leads drip fed into into Mautic from an external source so that it runs by itself as soon as new leads are sent over from my client.

Batching of leads wont work as the user experience would be delayed, the first email is a welcome email which needs to go out as soon as possible after they provide us with their details.

Any help/feedback would be awesome.

Thanks again.

Sincerely
Ray

Wow, Ray, you are quite a writer. I didn’t have time to read through your text carefully, but I guess you want to send leads from other system to Mautic and the API is overhead. Take a look at

https://medium.com/@jan_linhart/the-simplest-way-how-to-submit-a-form-data-to-mautic-1454d3afd005

This is an Awesome and active community.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, really appreciated.

I am getting a better feel for the possible options.

IF I had to use API, is it possible to advise what is the structure to ensure the lead is added to the correct lead list with the three data fields populated.

The list alias in the system is “poc-inbound-leads” and the list ID is 3.

Then I can go back to my client with three options below.

1. API injection - I will point him to https://developer.mautic.org/#create-lead
    But not being technical, can you clarify for me if can you assign the lead to a specific list at the same time you create the lead - thus making it a one step process, or do you need to create the lead, then query the system to get the lead ID and then move the lead onto the desired lead list?

2. Form injection using his current form with some modifications using the instructions from the url above, and

3. Give him the javascript code for the 2 x forms I create in Mautic, and request he uses those on his system.

Would that cover it?

I have seen some comments regarding using a tracking pixel, but I am not sure if the tracking pixel can be used to inject a brand new lead into Mautic from another system. If so how would that work?

Thanks again in advance for the support and feedback.

1. Not sure about this.

The tracking pixel possibilities are described here:

https://www.mautic.org/docs/leads/lead_monitoring.html

If the 3rd party app you want to connect Mautic to is written in PHP, take a look also at

https://github.com/mautic/api-library

Hi Escopecz,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I really do appreciate your time to read and respond to my post.

Yours Sincerely

Ray