Adding Segment in contacts

Hi,
If I add a contact I have no way of adding them to a segment until I save and then edit the contact where I can see a segment to add them to.

Is it possible that the segment is also available when adding a new contact?

If it is already there then I must have missed something.

Tks

I think this is the fastest way:

Hi @nanohits

If they are not imported contacts, ideally they should be added to the segment through a trigger (campaign, email, form…) and not manually, as this is not the organic way Mautic segments contacts.

Regards!

1 Like

Yeah ok but what if I add a new contact and want to add them to a segment, d’ont you think it could be easier if they had a pull down of the segment I want to add them to instead o an additional click?

Hi,

As a “manually add a contact” functionality it would be fine, but you can also do it once you register the “new” Contact, editing it and adding it to a specific SEGMENT previously existing.

Regards!

Again the whole idea is that what you are suggesting is extra work cause then you have to go to edit and then add them into a segment. Why not have it when you add the contact a section for which segment they should go into?

Hi,

I fully understand your suggestion, as many users often have this problem.

The truth is that it is “unnatural” for Mautic, as it is powered by actions and it is the actions of the contacts on the integrated websites that do the segmenting. I would say that in a Mautic with more than 2 million Contacts, I have never had to import contacts, let alone manually segment them.

If you think this is a viable option you can suggest it to the Mautic development group and see what they say. :hugs:

Regards!

There is nothing unnatural about it. Horses for courses. Maybe you have 2 million contacts but it makes logical sense that if you have hundreds of segments or what others call lists, that when you have to add them manually you have to put them somewhere not having those contacts be in space with no segmenting. And no websites dont do the segmenting always. Maybe for you it does. People use Mailing apps differently. Not everyone does it that way.

You can easily achieve what you are asking, by creating a custom field lets say “initial category” on a contact and then create a segment with filter on that field.

That way you basically have what you are asking and you are using already well established functionality of mautic.

Also I believe there is additional catch while changing / removing from segments manually as they are never added back once manually removed (although I am not 100% sure about this at the moment).

But dont you think it would be just as easy for Mautic to add a segments in the add category of contacts? Why go through hoops when this is a fairly basic thing because every contact needs to be added to a segment if you have many segments. Just seems logical to do that.

I mean, I am just trying to suggest a solution using what mautic already offers. :slight_smile:

Even better approach would be with tags, you add a specific tag when you manually add a contact and then let segments:update take care of placing the contact on the segment. Since your segment update cron should always run on a specific interval anyway, I do not think this is a hustle.

The first time you have to setup a segment with filter on specific tag, but every other time, you just add a tag to a contact just as you would a segment.

With a little bit of plugin development I am confident you can make sure that contact by default has a specific tag, when you are creating it (if that would make usage easier).

In reality I think that adding segment selection on contact add action would be a nice to have feature, but I also think that there other more pressing things to resolve in regards to segments.

If you choose to implement it (you or someone you hire), I would reach out to the core team before hand and ask them if this is something they would consider merging to the core (before spending time implementing it).

1 Like

Fair enough. I will take this advise for now. Might try the tagging bit