Mautic Community Forums

Best practices for Stages

I’m testing Mautic for use at my company, and so far it’s been a very impressive experience. I am trying to wrap my head around stages, however. Specifically, I’m trying to understand the best way to use stages with multiple sales funnels.

Unless I am misunderstanding, it is possible for contacts to have only one stage at any given time. If this is true, what is the best way to track incremental progress like stages do across multiple funnels?

Hi Peter,
stages / points etc. are all good when there is only one funnel.

If you have several funnels in one mautic instance… you would probably need to work through different campaigns with your own structure. Progress people through compaigns that follow each other. Nurturing - like giving points for activity - are still centered around a contacts activity. You can’t differentiate whether the same contact is actively engaging around funnel A or B.

Then you would probably need to set up different domains / systems etc. but then you loose the complete view on one person…

A typical B2B CRM system is 3 legged: one or more people -> one company -> one or more lead(s). But Marketing Automation with Mautic is a connection: one contact - one lead.

Thanks @dirk_s, that’s very helpful. My initial instinct had been that points would be global and stages would be campaign/category based, but I see that’s not how it works. I’ll have to think about how we might accomplish multiple funnels.

wondering what is your next ?

using mautic separately or using category in stage ?

Hi,
I’m using stages in a webshop environment.
The structure is the following:

1. Cold leads
    Anyone who comes to the website, and none of the below.

2. Has purchased something
    Once someone buys something we have a trustful relationship, since I shipped something to this person. They know we really exist. I can also build the buyer persona based on the shopping.

3. Loyal Customer
    This is when the spending is above a certain level per 90 days. I’m more likely to advertise these customers the more expensive products.

4. Reactivate 1
    Has not been to the website for 90 days, but used to purchase
    I send great offers to these customers, maybe coupons to come back and purchase.

5. Reactivate 2
    Has not been to the website for 90 days, and never purchased anything.
    I sent newsletters rarely to this person, but when I do I make sure it’s text only, short and clickbait like.

+1
0. Unknown: anyone with no email.
I show focus items for them with agressive freebies to get their email.

I could do this with tags or custom fields as well, why don’t I do it?
Because it’s easier to establish the customer journey dimension this way. I have custom fields for other uses and tags for shopping persona.

Hi,

I think it´s a good idea to first define the customer journey (the version best fit to your business) and then make a stage for each step on this journey. Something similar joeyk mentioned, but the customer journey of your marketing concept.

Another variant can be people they are

unknown -> you got the email address -> you got the first (cheap sale) -> you got average pricing sales from -> has a specifica amount of sales as customer …

Depending with whom you are in contact they sometimes use different names for these stages, that´s why dont use stage names - use the ones you best fit for you.

good luck.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Our situation is that we have a few very different product categories, all with long, complex sales cycles. We run campaigns for each line seasonally, and many of our customers will engage with us about the same offering over the course of several different campaigns. We’d like to track this progress, which is exactly what stages are there to do.

The trouble is that a customer might be very late in the funnel for one product category but completely new in another. Any thoughts on how to best structure something like that?

Don’t use stages but segments or tags.

Stages are not meant for more than one product.