Campaign Builder - Journey Exit

Hello lovely people,
Question of the day: If someone is removed from a segment mid-way through their Campaign Builder Journey, will they no longer receive emails?Explanation:

1. I’ve built a segment targeting customers who’ve made 1 transaction
  2. Customer A enters the segment
  3. 24hrs later, Customer A receives an email
  4. 48hrs after that, Customer A receives a follow up email
  5. Customer A now makes a 2nd transaction
  6. Do they now:
    Leave the segment but still receive the 3rd email in the campaign 24hrs later
    OR
    Leave the segment & the campaign

We’ve been trying to build multiple segments covering multiple touch points within a planned journey, but it looks to me like I can just build it all within 1 campaign.

Hello,

What is the basis of the segment membership?

1. Did you force push them into segment when imported (or via api)
  2. Or did you create a filter and they qualify to be a member?

J

Hi Joey,

The segment is based upon a custom field which counts the number of transactions on an account. This field is updated automatically via a webhook whenever the transactional count on an account is updated.

Okay great. So:

• 24hrs later, Customer A receives an email
  • 48hrs after that, Customer A receives a follow up email
  • Customer A now makes a 2nd transaction
    Do they now:
    Leave the segment but still receive the 3rd email in the campaign 24hrs later
    OR
    Leave the segment & the campaign

Answer:
If your segment filter is: anyone with less then 2 transactions is member of the segment, then:
Once the second transaction webhook arrives, your contact will disqualify from the segment, leave the campaign, and scheduled campaign events (3rd email scheduled for him to go out) will not happen.

Also good to know:

Once your last campaign event is done (3rd email) you will still member of this campaign. You can’t schedule new events for this person.

Hi Joey,

Just finished your training course (very helpful, thank you) and trying to get my head around this.

I’m going to detail the segmentation & campaign layout for one of our campaigns. Please let me know if it goes right/wrong anywhere.

Segment Criteria:

• New User - Account Created yesterday (Date Field: -1 Days)
  • Transactions - 0

Actions:

1. Sends Email, Adds Tag, Webhook to external system
  2. 24hrs later, Condition check. Transactions = 1
  3. Condition Check shows Transactions = 0, sends 2nd email
  4. Condition Check shows Transactions = 1, does NOT send email

As Mautic schedules all emails when someone enter’s a campaign, I’m concerned that the 2nd email:

1. Might go out to people no longer eligible
  2. Might go out to nobody as the initial segment dates have changed (& the participant has left the initial segment).

Am I being paranoid about the two concerns, or will my journey break somewhere along the lines?

It should not go out to people who are not eligible. If you leave the segment, you leave the campaign!

Okay, so if I have a segment filter based around a -1 timestamp, then the following day the customer will be removed from the segment & subsequently any future campaigns. Gotcha.

What I’m saying is, if the contact was added to a segment by a filter and disqualifies to be a member of the segment, then the campaign will not be continueing for this person.

Just like a person without a ticket in the wild west: You get thrown out from the train between stations.