Changes coming to Gmail

More of an announcement and to spread awareness, but we came across this at work.

1 Like

Have you had a read of this blog post?

It addresses those issues with some advice and guidance! :mautibot:

We have an open issue re. one click unsubscribe:

Would be awesome to have a few KB articles about the subjects in the article if anyone wants to write them!

1 Like

I missed that, Thank you for pointing it out :slight_smile:

I will certainly read this and share it with my dev team.

One thing we are concerned about is the virus checking bots that clicks every link. What will stop these from just unsubscribing scores of leads.

A capatcha will work but its not one click.
I’ve read about another potential solution that uses a redirect with a query param.

Havn’t looked into more detail as of yet.

The one-click unsubscribe is required to be a POST, which I thought was to prevent bots from unsubscribing users.

Also… Would a captcha work in this context? I thought we’re writing an API endpoint, so there would be no UI to write. The mail client supplies the unsubscribe button and any follow-up in its UI, leaving our code as headless. Have I misunderstood the specs on this?

No your are correct, I am just thinking out loud :slight_smile:

Please note the referenced article at Navigating Gmail's New Spam Policies: What Mautic Users Need to Know - Mautic Community is mistaken about what constitutes “one-click unsubscribe” in the RFC-8058 specs and upcoming ESP changes. The article claims that providing your own “Unsubscribe” link in the body of your mailing is enough to meet the requirements, and implies Mautic can currently satisfy this. This is incorrect, which is why Add support for rfc 8058 (One-Click unsubscribe) · Issue #12880 · mautic/mautic · GitHub was opened.

That’s a good point @markerb and we realised that after we saw that PR :slight_smile:

Hey @markerb , how is it possible to implement a one-click unsubscribe link that send post and not get request in e mail-template?

Your English is difficult for me to understand.

First of all, I’m not sure if you’re talking about the ESP’s POST one-click unsubscribe that is determined by the email’s headers; or an unsubscribe link for the user, contained in the body of the email. They are very different.

I’m also confused about the context of this question, as this issue has been fixed in Mautic 5, and will even soon be released for Mautic 4.

when i asked the question i was missing some information about the new rfc 8058, so yes i admit i formulated my question wrong.

I also read that this is already implemented in Mautic 5 and a patch for Mautic 4 will be released this or next week. The solution implemented by Mautic will not work in my case. My contacts are subscribed to categories (in each category a certain type of newsletter is sent). This means that if a user uses the one-click-unsubscribe through a mail client, then DNC (do not contact) is activated for him, which means that he will not receive any e-mail from me. Therefore, I will probably implement my own solution for the one-click-subscribe link, where the user only unsubscribes from the corresponding category.

Hi @ooralas - please feel free to submit a PR to Mautic if you can improve this functionality in line with the guidelines! Folks also use segments as well, so it’d need to consider both if there were a more granular approach by unsubscribing from the specific list rather than setting DNC globally.

Hello,
Can you share a bit how you intent or share how you impleited the your custom solution?

Do you plan to change this on mautic, or implement a SMTP/api relay to change the header and track the inbound request ?