Changing 'from name' sends email directly to spam

Your software
My Mautic version is: v5.0.0
My PHP version is: 8.0.25
My Database type and version is: 10.6.11-MariaDB

Your problem
My problem is:
When I try to change the “from name” for a segment email to be different from the system default, the test email goes straight to spam. I have not changed the sending address. When sending with the default name, the email sends fine.

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

I’ve tested this with multiple email addresses. The default name always delivers fine, but the changed name goes to spam. I have not changed anything about the email otherwise.

1 Like

Interesting… could you maybe check the generated mail headers? Not sure at the moment, how an alternative “from name” will be coded. If there is maybe a non standard way, this could generate a spam signal …

How did you test the spam? And was there more information about the reason of the spam decision?

Also please test with https://mail-tester.com/ … maybe its already revealing the reason.

I sent it to a variety of different email accounts, all of which normally receive emails from the sending account without issue—it’s just when the sender name is changed that it get sent to spam. Other test emails without the sender name change work fine, so it’s not the [TEST] in the header that is flagging it as spam. I can’t find a reason for the spam decision as far as I can tell.

Like already said, mail-tester.com will give you further reasons what could be triggering a SPAM signal for you. Try it out and send us the output. You can also go into the flagged SPAM email that you received and extract all the header info. Both approaches will help to troubleshoot a possible reason.