Changing how Mautic 5 handles email from send immediately to queue

Your software
My Mautic version is: V5.0.0-rc2
My PHP version is: 8.1
My Database type and version is: MariadDB 10.6

When I did the original install, on Step 2 I was asked “How should emails be spooled and delivered?” Options being “Send Immediately” or “Queue”. I had selected “Send Immediately” and proceeded with the install.

Now however, after reading some posts on deliverability, I have determined that it’s in my best interest to use the Queue feature to start with.

Everything I can find in the documentation and forums say to go to Configuration → Email Settings → How should email be handled? and change it to Queue. But I do not have that setting anywhere in M5.

How do I change this?

2 Likes

1 Like

I think its Queue settings (In the left submenu)

Looked at that and I don’t think that’s it either. Not sure as there’s nothing in the docs about that.

I did find in the docs this morning that it’s saying to switch to queued sending all you need to do is set a cron job…

bin/console messenger:consume email_transport

If that’s the case, then what is sending them now? the 3 cron jobs I have running are:

bin/console mautic:segments:update
bin/console mautic:campaigns:update 
bin/console mautic:campaigns:trigger 

Do you know which one of those I would need to remove when adding in the one required for queuing in order to prevent the immediate sending?

Thanks.

I am also not understanding how that one cron job alone determines the “rate” in which the queued emails are sent out (i.e. say I only want to send 100/hour and the cron job is running every 5 minutes, that would be 8 emails per cron execution).

Is there anyone at all in the community that can assist me in getting M5 properly setup to send emails via queue?

https://docs.mautic.org/en/5.x/configuration/settings.html#mautic-doesn-t-use-queues-by-default
You need to set queue setting scheme to doctrine and host to default
In CRON jobs after messenger:consume email_transport you can add --batch-limit=X to limit how many messages you want to send at once.

don’t forget to add messenger:consume email

Thanks for the help @marko008. It’s not working just yet. I’m getting errors from the cron jobs. When I look at the logs, the first error I get is that The "--batch-limit" option does not exist. I tried it on both command of messenger:consume email_transport and then messenger:consume email

Also, when I don’t have the --batch-limit= on it, I get the error message that The receiver "email_transport" does not exist.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I have the same issue. I can’t find a way to limit the number of emails sent every time a cron job runs.

Does anyone have an idea ?

I found more information. The syntax is not correct. It would be /bin/console messenger:consume email --limit=20 which would send 20 emails each time a cron job runs.

For more options about messenger:consume, you can run :
php /var/www/html/bin/console messenger:consume -- help

I got rid of the errors you mentioned but I still can’t send emails with my campaigns, although Mautic marks the emails as sent.

I have the email configured in the “Email Settings”, tested, OK.
In “Queue Setting”, Emails are configured to “Doctrine” and “Default” for the host.

And I have a cron job that runs every 10 minutes :

*/1 * * * * php /var/www/html/bin/console messenger:consume email --limit=1

What’s the problem?

By checking the log i can see the errors are gone.

To debug, I recommend to comment out your cron commands and launch everything directly from terminal.

1. Make sure the particular email is “published” and date is set to a moment in past:

1. Make sure your “queue” settings are set to doctrine

2. run emails generator

php -d memory_limit=-1 ./bin/console mautic:broadcasts:send --batch=30 --limit=2000 --id=[YOUR-EMAIL-ID]

in terminal, from mautic working dir (note that you need to get your email id from mautic emails list - this arg helps to isolate sending and debugging for 1 particular campaign)

This will start feeding your queue with generated emails.
If the process exists fast - this means you have a problem with your email generation setup. If it starts working - you will see it, it takes many seconds.

1. Run actual email sending (you can start another terminal instance for this):
php ./bin/console messenger:consume email --memory-limit=8280M -vv

So, you need two processes running when you want to send queued email campaign: first one is generating emails and putting it into queue; another one is working on the queue.

If it works from terminal, you can start moving these commands either into crontab or daemon like supervisorctl (my preferred method).

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I followed your suggestions and I was finally able to troubleshoot and set my desired limit rate! Emails are now sent properly.

Awesome!

1 Like

@jet1

Thank you for that! When running from CLI, everything seems to work.

The only thing I’m noticing is that the php ./bin/console messenger:consume email -vv doesn’t exit when you run it. This causes a problem when I have it running via cron, as I end up with many many instances of it running until the server bogs down to the point of locking up the server.

What do I need to do to get it to exit after each execution?

Also, the -vv isn’t reporting anything to the console. Is that normal?

messenger:consume is designed to be a long-lived process so it can be run via supervisortctl or systemd (restarted from time to time, e.g. via --memory-limit=1280M. you can condition it to work inside cron via --time-limit=360 arg or/and --limit=10 (amount of emails) as well.

to see all available options, run ./bin/console help messenger:consume

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you!

I just thought of 1 more question. All this has been done with testing Broadcast emails. What about Campaign emails? Those have been sending out immediately even without the bin/console mautic:broadcasts:send and bin/console messenger:consume email commands.

It’s probably not as critical in my situation as the likelihood of a campaign triggering that many emails at once is fairly rare, but would be nice to understand what would be needed.

Mautic brodcast send is processed in batches how often it gets called it depends on your cron config.

Hello. I have Sendgrid as delivery method, but I get:

php ./bin/console messenger:consume email --memory-limit=8280M -vv

[OK] Consuming messages from transport “email”.

// The worker will automatically exit once it has exceeded 8280M of memory or received a stop signal via the
// messenger:stop-workers command.

// Quit the worker with CONTROL-C.

In SyncTransport.php line 37:

[Symfony\Component\Messenger\Exception\InvalidArgumentException]
You cannot receive messages from the Messenger SyncTransport.

Exception trace:
at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/messenger/Transport/Sync/SyncTransport.php:37
Symfony\Component\Messenger\Transport\Sync\SyncTransport->get() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/messenger/Worker.php:101
Symfony\Component\Messenger\Worker->run() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/messenger/Command/ConsumeMessagesCommand.php:234
Symfony\Component\Messenger\Command\ConsumeMessagesCommand->execute() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/console/Command/Command.php:298
Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php:1058
Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/framework-bundle/Console/Application.php:96
Symfony\Bundle\FrameworkBundle\Console\Application->doRunCommand() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php:301
Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/framework-bundle/Console/Application.php:82
Symfony\Bundle\FrameworkBundle\Console\Application->doRun() at /var/www/html/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php:171
Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run() at /var/www/html/bin/console:16

and campaign messages are not sent. Any help?

You do not have async consumer configured.