Contribution via Git

Hi Don,

I would like to contribute some code and documentation for Mautic. Unfortunately I am not able to push my local branches back to Git:

Code:
Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository. Open preferences and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository.

I thought the workflow is:
1. Pull remote repository from Github to the local computer
2. Create local branch
3. Make modifications
4. Commit locally
5. Push changes back to Github <-- does not work
6. Create pull request in Github

This is kind of strange because I can push to other repositories. Any idea? Do the admins have to authorize me first? Am I missing something?

Best,
Peter

Hi Don,

I would like to contribute some code and documentation for Mautic. Unfortunately I am not able to push my local branches back to Git:

Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository. Open preferences and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository.

I thought the workflow is:

1. Pull remote repository from Github to the local computer
  2. Create local branch
  3. Make modifications
  4. Commit locally
  5. Push changes back to Github <-- does not work
  6. Create pull request in Github

This is kind of strange because I can push to other repositories. Any idea? Do the admins have to authorize me first? Am I missing something?

Best,
Peter

You’ll need to create a fork of Mautic to your github user, then push the changes to that fork in order to submit a pull request. Only a few people have commit access to the Mautic repository, including branches.

To do that, go to https://github.com/mautic/mautic and click “Fork” in the top right. Select your user to create the repo there. Then, in the terminal where you created your local branch, type git remote add mine git@github.com:YOUR_USER/mautic.git. From there you can push your changes to your fork via git push mine YOUR_BRANCH_NAME. Once you do that, go back to https://github.com/mautic/mautic, and you’ll see a yellow alert box that says “Create a pull request from your recently pushed branch?” or something along those lines.

OK. I wasn’t aware that I first have to fork the repo (I cloned it directly from Mautic repo). Thanks!