Creating a child theme?

Hello guys!

I’m exciting to test an open source MAS system.

I have successfully installed Mautic on my local server and i want to begin with some easy customisation for learning this awesome application.

I want to start by developing a custom theme. Does anyone have experience with this?

I already checked the documentation but it’s a little bit unclear.

I want to change some colors, icons and logo’s for the backend. I can change this in the default css/LESS but when a new update becomes available all the changes decipeer in the wind…

Is it possible to create a child theme? (I mean a custom theme that uses the default theme with a few changes…)

I’m a junior php developer but i don’t have any experience in Symfony. It’s looks a bit overwhelming to be honest.

Thanks a lot for reading my post.

Kind Regards

Jorn from Belgium

Hello guys!

I’m exciting to test an open source MAS system.
I have successfully installed Mautic on my local server and i want to begin with some easy customisation for learning this awesome application.

I want to start by developing a custom theme. Does anyone have experience with this?
I already checked the documentation but it’s a little bit unclear.

I want to change some colors, icons and logo’s for the backend. I can change this in the default css/LESS but when a new update becomes available all the changes decipeer in the wind…

Is it possible to create a child theme? (I mean a custom theme that uses the default theme with a few changes…)
I’m a junior php developer but i don’t have any experience in Symfony. It’s looks a bit overwhelming to be honest.

Thanks a lot for reading my post.
Kind Regards

Jorn from Belgium

Hi Jorn

Mautic does support theming the forms and pages as needed. We’ve launched a new developer site with better documentation:

https://developer.mautic.org/#themes

That will let you customize emails, forms, pages, etc… as needed.

For Mautic its self, we would love to welcome any improvements you have to Mautic’s user interface directly into mautic so we can share it with everyone. To do that you would have to use the Github version:

https://github.com/mautic/mautic

And make any changes necessary directly to the LESS / CSS / JS, submit a pull request and we’ll merge it in after its been tested.

Hi chad

Thanks for taking time for me.

I’m going to read the docs, seems a lot better then the first version!

If i have developed or redesigned pieces for/of Mautic i will offcourse share them with the community.
But i’m not familiar with Github (A shame, i know!), i don’t know how pull requests work, but i will try to find out.

It would be great if you were able to help us out there!

Also just keep this in mind - sometimes people try to take Mautic and rebrand it and sell it. We try to discourage that practice as much as possible. Even though the GPL license allows people to do this, it certainly doesn’t help build the community or support the development team. Its best for everyone to grow the Mautic ecosystem by spreading the brand and software so it can gain popularity and be improved.

Jornve, you can mess the the less files to rebrand the colors and fonts. Most of what you want is in the bundles/CoreBunde/views and assests folder.

I don’t know about that Chad. I think rebranding Mautic spreads the word just fine, it just targets a different audience with a different need. For example, I’m in here answering as many questions as I can and today I forked and fixed the Concrete5 plugin. I have already completely rebranded Mautic for my agency. As an agency I can do more to help than an individual could, because I have more resources (devs, money, my own experience).

Instead of worrying about people like me rebranding and reselling, figure out what users like me need, then sell it to us. (hint, when you roll out your hosted agency SAAS version, charge us to rebrand and provide a form to do this in the settings. You should also white label your documentation and videos and charge for that too. You just need to create a paid membership that offers these types of goodies).

Hey Buckhornmktg:

Thanks so much for all the replying you’ve done on the boards lately - we definitely need the help! Also if you found an issue with the concrete5 plugin we’d love to have you make a pull request back to the github repo and push it back so we can share it with everyone.

Rebranding mautic is totally legal and you’re free to do so as you want. But it would really help the greater collective if everyone who trained, wrote documentation, and improved code quality contributed those changes and improvements back to the mautic community. That way everyone shares in the efforts. Training materials can be re-used, documentation has a consistent user interface, and any fixed bugs can be shared with everyone. That’s a wonderful way of improving the product.

Allyde.com is the ‘agency-support arm’ of Mautic and they’re focused on creating agency level features, and also contributing their improvements back to Mautic.org as well. You can expect great things from them to support agencies and create content to help support them. But we don’t want to forget or neglect the free open source users. Mautic is free and open source software first and foremost.

Chad, I hope I’m being helpful. I certainly don’t know as much as you do and while I try to help, you and a few other people on here seem to be the best sources for knowledge.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there Chad. I hope people realize the importance of contributing changes and improvements back to the Mautic community. If you are going to rebrand Mautic, make money using it, and not contribute, then you don’t understand the interdependent nature of business relationships and how that relates to your own success.

Besides, there’s only a short period of time when an agency or individual can rebrand/resell Mautic as their own. Once the word spreads about Mautic and it becomes as recognized as WordPress or Drupal, it’s more beneficial to promote yourself as the Mautic agency or Mautic expert than to rebrand.