Database errors upon installation

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.0
My PHP version is: 7.4
My Database type and version is: MySQL version: 5.5.5-10.1.48-MariaDB-1~stretch through PHP extension MySQLi

Your problem

Errors during installation.

These errors are showing in the log:

An error occurred while attempting to add default data: An exception occurred while executing ‘CREATE INDEX instagram_search ON leads (instagram)’: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage overhead, check the manual.

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

I recently signed up for Cloudways hosting and am experiencing database issues while trying to install Mautic. Cloudways support suggested I reach out. Here’s what they said regarding the installation error.

ORIGINAL ERROR:
An error occurred while attempting to add default data: An exception occurred while executing ‘CREATE INDEX instagram_search ON leads (instagram)’: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage overhead, check the manual. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs

Here is the error I got. Please, do note that this comes directly from the application. A quick search on the Internet shows several workarounds. Particularly, something like this:

ALTER ${table} ROW_FORMAT=COMPRESSED;

However, this should be done in the application itself as this is triggered during the installation process. At this point, I would recommend contacting the application developer/vendor about this.

You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs. I recommend contacting the application developer/vendor in this case

This needs to be fixed in the installation script.

You need to use Mariadb 10.5 in my experience.

Thanks @joeyk! I’ll try it out today and post results.

I upgraded to Mariadb 10.3 and it worked like a charm! Thank you for the guidance.