Goodbye Mautic: Huge Discrepancy & Terribly Inaccurate Page Hit Tracking

Haha. Adam did a very good job in his tutorial videos and I learn alot from his video. If not I still struggling on how to install Mautic smoothly on my webhost server.

I think Mautic development team should now well aware of the bugs and soon come out with the bug fixes and I do not might to help and test it too.

@Adam yeah I must say your mautic videos are very good, thank you for all your effort.

You’ve really given mautic a leg up with your content.

We just need some solid quality management processes implemented so updates are smoother and functionality works.

I had tried Mautic in v1.x and found it cumbersome to install and use. Now after few months, I decided to give it one more go and installed v2.5.1. Though I am a relatively new Mautic user, I can relate to everything mentioned here. After setting up all Campaigns and Emails in v2.5.1 when I upgraded to v2.6, I found that the Campaign Builder is broken in v2.6 https://github.com/mautic/mautic/issues/3377. So now I cannot create or edit Campaigns in v2.6. I had to restore v2.5.1. Wasted one complete day in this. What’s the point of releasing new features when the existing ones cannot remain stable across versions? It is frustrating that such a promising tool is so buggy. Also, it seems page hit tracking is also buggy which makes double-optin almost impossible. I hope the lead devs take notice of everything mentioned here and fix the issues first before releasing new features. A stable core would go a long way in having people adopt Mautic.

everyone says or seems to say they talk on the mautic channel on slack, when slack is just a message area. Not really a brain storming hands on meeting application. I use slack for specific things not for developing and or working as a team. Skype is the way to go still because you not only can talk to each other by voice, you can share screens and figure out issues faster and better. I created a skype group chat bot last week for mautic it’s the other way of doing meetups only online because finding a local meetup for people using Mautic in your area or my area or any area is limited or not at all.

https://join.skype.com/bot/280a5069-c4a0-484e-88fb-a1f4d7af3dd3

Pass this along, you want the entire embed code for adding to a blog of yours or a site for people to click on for this chat group i can also post that as well. I added this info to the topic meetups as well.

@Paul999, @Adam, @denispavliha, @magician @imautic and the many others who posted to this thread, I want to thank you for taking your valuable time to bring these items into the open. This is the very reason we love the open source community. It’s vocal and shares with everyone the issues and concerns that they are facing. We want to know exactly what the issues are involving the use of Mautic. This is quite the thread, so I won’t be addressing each and every item that has been listed, however, there are a few that are initially mentioned that we’d like to respond to.

Inaccurate page hit tracking: As John has noted above, we understand that there are bugs that have been posted, and the team is working hard to bring closure to all of them.

Double opt-in: I sense some uncertainty about the functionality of this feature. @olafdammann offers some valuable insight into this in his follow up. If there are still questions, you may want to engage the community by posting a specific question here in the forums or in the Slack #support or #howto channel.

Core functionality: This is an issue that we constantly monitor and address, whether we are tackling bugs or developing new enhancements, features, functionality. As with any open source project, we learn about issues by way of feedback, our own usage/testing and issues that are posted to Github. Please keep giving us feedback, we are listening!

These are the main issues in this thread as I see them. As I mentioned, there are a host of issues that have been noted here. Please take the time to ensure they have been posted to Github, this will minimize the add’l work in addressing them here, and having them added to Github as part of the development process. The community is growing and we’re doing our very best to monitor all methods and means of communication and focus all efforts in the right direction.

We also recognize your frustration. An open source community is nothing without everyone playing a vital role in the growth of the product. We would encourage all of you to provide the details to specific issues you are experiencing so that they can be addressed directly. Many of you have done, and are doing this. So thank you! Also, for those who assist us by testing fixes, answering questions, adding documentation and getting involved, we’re grateful.

Our goal remains the same. To provide an incredibly powerful and valuable marketing automation solution, while increasing that value based on the growing demands of the marketer. Thanks again for providing feedback.

[quote=20028:@jseevers]
Double opt-in: I sense some uncertainty about the functionality of this feature. @olafdammann offers some valuable insight into this in his follow up. If there are still questions, you may want to engage the community by posting a specific question here in the forums or in the Slack Product Support or #howto channel. [/quote]

Jupp, will do and share here.

I like this idea!! If it is clear, then I am willing to go throught he Beta-Iterations.

I think one important step for that would be to involve the community in testing release candidates. Currently the releases are built behind the curtain and then released to the community. Why not release a release candidate to people willing to test pre-releases?
The other thing that is lacking currently are automated tests. Yes there are some, but the coverage is fare from good.

The last successful build was on the 1st February. I mean fixing the the build should be the number 1 priority. But instead there was a release in between on the 9th February, without a passing build.

To fix that I think the acceptance criteria for new code should be that it is covered by tests. And of course to fix the build if you break it.

1 Like

@escopecz

I think many people in the community can do the beta testing process until we can do a set of rules for assure a useful CI/CD process.

I personally can test the new functionality and pre-releases in our sides.

Best

I have several different type of customers and use Mautic with great results for some. For other customers I found Datacrush (www.datacrush.la) to be a great all-in-one marketing solution with cheap prices.

I think Mautic covers the basics and more, it’s enough for most customers, I haven’t experienced the problems described above but when I’m in the need of a more robust and cloud solution, with good support I use Datacrush

@alvarez this is not the thread/place to discuss other alternatives. This thread is a community effort to build a concensus for how to stablize Mautic and get it working better for each release.

Lets focus on Mautic, the best tool for marketing automation and of course opensource .

Best tool for marketing automation??? Not even close.
Best open source FREE marketing automation tool? Maybe. It is the only one at the moment.

@spatialy the current testing process happens at https://github.com/mautic/mautic/pulls. It’d be great if more people would help us test the new features and bug fixes. It’d speed up the review process and improve the stability. So far no one is helping to test. What is the blocker? Is it Git? If anyone’d like to help, here is how:

https://github.com/mautic/mautic#how-to-test-a-pull-request

I’m also fond of pre-releases where the community members could choose how stable updates they want to get and the bold ones would help with testing. However, the problem with that is lack of people wanting to maintain the pre-releases. Any volunteers?

@wittwerch Could you join the Slack #dev channel to discus the automatic tests?

[quote=20153:@escopecz]@spatialy the current testing process happens at https://github.com/mautic/mautic/pulls. It’d be great if more people would help us test the new features and bug fixes. It’d speed up the review process and improve the stability. So far no one is helping to test. What is the blocker? Is it Git? If anyone’d like to help, here is how:

https://github.com/mautic/mautic#how-to-test-a-pull-request

I’m also fond of pre-releases where the community members could choose how stable updates they want to get and the bold ones would help with testing. However, the problem with that is lack of people wanting to maintain the pre-releases. Any volunteers?

@wittwerch Could you join the Slack #dev channel to discus the automatic tests?[/quote]

I’m not programming trained but i can give it a try :slight_smile: I’m only at system integration level. haha :slight_smile:

@escopecz On our side, we are making arrangements int our team to start testing and giving back test results … we plan to start testing in 2-3 days.

Best

Is there a dev team for Mautic? Is there anyone being paid to do things for it, or it is 100% community driven?

There is a startup behind Mautic: http://www.geektime.com/2016/09/20/open-source-marketing-automation-platform-mautic-picks-up-5m-series-a-and-a-new-ceo-from-applause/

[quote=20153:@escopecz]
@wittwerch Could you join the Slack #dev channel to discus the automatic tests?[/quote]
I’m already on that channel. Just let me know when you want to discuss that topic. I’m happy to help!

@jseevers, I personally feel that resources are very disproportionately allocated to “developing new features”, and that “tackling bugs” seems to be an afterthought.

The feature release of marketing messages while bugs in core functionalities are still rampant highlights this issue. Core features like like page hit tracking, split testing statistics, report filter conditions and quite a few other core features that others have reported on… They just simply don’t work properly.

To add a feature like marketing messages when the core is still littered with bugs seems negligent to me, sorry to say. I mean to me it’s like building a new spoiler for your Ferrari when your Ferrari has a flat tire and a broken gearbox. Shouldn’t resources be allocated to fixing the gearbox and flat tire first?

When you just keep adding new feature upon new feature and neglect the bugs, in the end all you’ll end up with an extremely buggy piece of software. I don’t think that’s anyone wish.

That’s why I agree with the point that @manageit makes here:

And it’s not just about fixing the bugs, it’s about growing a userbase of people that actually use Mautic in production also…

When you don’t fix bugs in the core functionality the user base growth of Mautic will be very limited, compared to its potential user base growth when those bugs are taken care of - for good.

The reason for that is:

1. Because the use of the software is only possible in very basic scenarios. Certainly not in advanced marketing automation scenarios, which is what Mautic is purportedly for…

2. Those bugs and unreliability issues frustrate the heck out of users and are causing many users to abandon Mautic after trying it, like I did.

It’s like @magician and @imautic say…

[quote=19968:@magician]In my opinion, the core functionality should work without any problems. If not, for me it’s only a something which we can play with for testing, fun etc.

In production core elements MUST works well. THEN Mautic will be a real competitor in the MA market. And I’m sure, then a growing group of users will use Mautic and wait for other features. Implementing new features when the core is still buggy doesn’t make a growing group of real users.[/quote]

This is how I did the Double Opt-In

Maybe this helps