PLEASE! FIX Mautic!

Dear Mautic community,

after last update I am just fakin angry. I know, Mautic is for free and there is a lot of time of work behind it. But tell me - why community keeps developing new features in Mautic instead of fixing old ones?

Dynamic fields works wrong, Campaigns buggy, since 2.8.0 problem with php versions and PLENTY PLENTY and PLENTY more bugs. Could you please release at least ONE WORKING version of Mautic with basic functional core? Sending email, creating campaigns, etc.

I am in one serious project and using Mautic for it… And it is disaster every single update. I am sick patching all the shits by github codes which works in 50% success.

Dear Mautic community,

after last update I am just fakin angry. I know, Mautic is for free and there is a lot of time of work behind it. But tell me - why community keeps developing new features in Mautic instead of fixing old ones?

Dynamic fields works wrong, Campaigns buggy, since 2.8.0 problem with php versions and PLENTY PLENTY and PLENTY more bugs. Could you please release at least ONE WORKING version of Mautic with basic functional core? Sending email, creating campaigns, etc.

I am in one serious project and using Mautic for it… And it is disaster every single update. I am sick patching all the shits by github codes which works in 50% success.

@jaroslav.huss No one likes broken software, and we do try to do our best. If you’re patching bugs that you’ve found in previous releases, could you share those as pull requests to https://github.com/mautic/mautic? No sense in fixing something only to have it wiped out by the next release. At the very least, detailed issue reports that stick to the details of the error can go a long way to alleviating the issues that you’re seeing.

Remember - you’re part of the community as well and have just as much power to make it better as everyone else involved.

[quote=22967:@jaroslav.huss]Dear Mautic community,

I am in one serious project and using Mautic for it… And it is disaster every single update. I am sick patching all the shits by github codes which works in 50% success.[/quote]

You test PRs? If not, I can help you get started as we need more giving than taking.

It’s a fair comment. Don’t take it defensively, guys, but it does seem that as new releases are done, the functionality can go askew, and if people are relying on functionality for important real-dollar projects, or in my case, trying to champion Mautic as an option to a team of skeptics who have seen the difficulties I have been through in testing - it is a tough sell.

Perhaps if there was a site where all of the old versions were available for reverting to, along with a description of what functionality they had/didn’t have, as well as a “reliability rating” voted on for each version, then people could decide which version they felt comfortable running with, knowing which newer features they were sacrificing in opting for those older versions.

This would at least give new prospects a fall back position where they could whet their beak on earlier versions of Mautic, and not simply dismiss it as an option due to non-functionality of some aspects of the latest version. Am I wrong in saying that when new potential users first come to download…they automatically get the latest version, bugs and all?

And I will put my hand up to test Pre-releases as my way of contributing…as github pull requests and programming etc. is all gobbledegook to me. Let me know how.

Thanks
Kym

@jaroslav.huss Don’t upgrade? That’ll fix your problem. All updates is a risk to an existing system, and you don’t update unless it’s required.

I’m looking at the release notes (https://github.com/mautic/mautic/releases/tag/1.2.3) and its more bug fixes than anything else. I don’t see much features you’re talking about. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

If you’ve fixed bugs, you should push it so it’s patched into the main one. If you’re pushing it and nobody is putting it to the core, then that’s a problem and that’s what you should be venting out.

Before rolling out a new release, I am cloning my production system into a testing system, rolling out the new version there, then I do testing, testing and testing. I wrote some test cases for the crucial functionality and only when they are positiv on the test system, I am rolling out the new version on the production system (with backup before of course).

It is a common misunderstanding that new versions have to be rolled out when they are released. :slight_smile:

That’s fair enough…and PeterTL, great system, I will work out a way to do that for myself…but don’t forget that the majority of folk are used to updates occurring automatically for them in the background…with little to no loss of service. It is a common misunderstanding because commonly…new versions ARE rolled out when they are released.

[quote=23169:@PeterTL]Before rolling out a new release, I am cloning my production system into a testing system, rolling out the new version there, then I do testing, testing and testing. I wrote some test cases for the crucial functionality and only when they are positiv on the test system, I am rolling out the new version on the production system (with backup before of course).

It is a common misunderstanding that new versions have to be rolled out when they are released. :-)[/quote]

Amen. I keep a dev, test, and production virtual machines and always create a new ZFS snapshot prior to major changes or upgrades. Have for 20+ years using various methods.

Waow, what statements we have to read here:
It’s not recommended to go on the latest Version? Well…. This statement is only valid for Mautic. The rest of the IT World sees this point differently.
I must maintain a test system? For what? Only because there will be releases published, that have random bugs? Well: Then play open and publish a solid version and call the other betas or even alphas.
I understand the complexity of such a project. And I read desperation in the users base here since long. The solution is to not update??? Interesting approach. How to ruin its own project, lesson one.
Very sad

@olafdammann nobody said it’s not recommended to upgrade. When you have live sites, its ALWAYS best to test new software, changes of software, software upgrades on a system that’s NOT LIVE. It’s common sense. We professionals have testing sites.

Havn’t you upgraded other software and to see there was problems with your current system? Even my WordPress upgrades stuff up my themes. That’s why I have test sites. Clone existing system and test all new software on there.

When WordPress updates, then my Theme company have to test it on the latest update and see what needs to be changed. That’s why its not best to upgrade your software to the latest when it comes out (unless you know how to code then you can fix it yourself). If you’re not a coder, let the latest code stay for awhile so others can fix the bugs, then upgrade later when you are comfortable.

If you’re new, you should always wait awhile to upgrade. If you don’t need the latest software, don’t upgrade straight away. Why do you want the latest software for? Not needed.

We are talking about Muatic upgrading, and having problems with other stuff. Mautic might be fine, but when you have LOTS of systems connected to each other, you CAN’T test everything. Only because Mautic is not responsible for other software. Yes there will be issues, that’s why Developers follow up with the bugs and fix it.

Then there is Mautic operating on many different server configurations. It’s impossible to test everything. If you don’t know what you’re doing, DONT upgrade straight away. Let the other people deal with the bugs. You should only upgrade when you have to. This depends on your situation. Everybody is different.

@olafdammann nobody said it’s not recommended to upgrade. This depends on your situation. Why do you want the latest update for? You have to know why, then upgrade if the upgrade is what you need.

When you have live sites, its ALWAYS best to test new software; test changes to software; and test software upgrades - do this on a testing site that’s NOT LIVE. If you do this on your Live site, if something stuffs up, you’re in trouble. The OP probably didn’t need to upgrade as his live site was working fine. OP should have submitted all his bug fixes to the core so they can put it into the core. But OP probably didn’t so came here complaining. This is an open source project, it’s always good to give back to the community when you fix something, so it can be added into the core.

Havn’t you upgraded other software and to see there was problems with your current system? Even my WordPress upgrades stuff up my themes. That’s why I have test sites. Clone existing system and test all new software on there. If you don’t have a test site, let the community test the software with other configurations and let the bugs get sorted out.

When WordPress updates, then my Theme company have to test it on the latest update and see what needs to be changed. There is a time lag for other software to update. That’s why its not best to upgrade your software to the latest when it comes out (unless you know how to code then you can fix it yourself). If you’re not a coder, let the latest code stay for awhile so others can fix the bugs, then upgrade later when you are comfortable.

If you’re new, you should always wait awhile to upgrade. If you don’t need the latest software, don’t upgrade straight away. Why do you want the latest software for? Not needed.

We are talking about Muatic upgrading, and having problems with other stuff. Mautic might be fine, but when you have LOTS of systems connected to each other, you CAN’T test everything. Only because Mautic is not responsible for other software. Yes there will be issues, that’s why Developers follow up with the bugs and fix it.

Then there is Mautic operating on many different server configurations. It’s impossible to test everything. If you don’t know what you’re doing, DONT upgrade straight away. Let the other people deal with the bugs. You should only upgrade when you have to. This depends on your situation. Everybody is different.

ps sorry for double post.

[quote=23220:@olafdammann] @olafdammann Waow, what statements we have to read here:
It’s not recommended to go on the latest Version? Well…. This statement is only valid for Mautic. The rest of the IT World sees this point differently.
I must maintain a test system? For what? Only because there will be releases published, that have random bugs? Well: Then play open and publish a solid version and call the other betas or even alphas.
I understand the complexity of such a project. And I read desperation in the users base here since long. The solution is to not update??? Interesting approach. How to ruin its own project, lesson one.
Very sad[/quote]

Do you really deploy new releases on a live production system?

-RB

Well… There are enough tools out there, where I can easily push a minor release without any testing, e.g. WordPress. Mautic had unexpected bugs in nearly each release, so there I must test.
I understand here that it’s not recomended to update your Mautic, at least it comes along to me. Okay, this is how I survive with it. Which then opens the question of the reason of new version.
It has been requested in the last month several times: Make a rocksolid realease, call the playing-releases beta or alpha and then deliver another rocksolid release. Instead we see funny features and new bugs. Whatever the explanation of this is, and I read a lots of those here in the past, this is a good way into marginalizing this project. The Idea itself still is brilliant. Make Mautic the WordPress of Mailmarketing. But I can’t see, that this happens with this approach.
Whatever: I know, Im not a Dev, so I shal shut up here.
But I keep on praying for a massive change in the Mautic Project, so that this really becomes the WP of mailing.

[quote=23228:@olafdammann]Well… There are enough tools out there, where I can easily push a minor release without any testing, e.g. WordPress. Mautic had unexpected bugs in nearly each release, so there I must test.
I understand here that it’s not recomended to update your Mautic, at least it comes along to me. Okay, this is how I survive with it. Which then opens the question of the reason of new version.
It has been requested in the last month several times: Make a rocksolid realease, call the playing-releases beta or alpha and then deliver another rocksolid release. Instead we see funny features and new bugs. Whatever the explanation of this is, and I read a lots of those here in the past, this is a good way into marginalizing this project. The Idea itself still is brilliant. Make Mautic the WordPress of Mailmarketing. But I can’t see, that this happens with this approach.
Whatever: I know, Im not a Dev, so I shal shut up here.
But I keep on praying for a massive change in the Mautic Project, so that this really becomes the WP of mailing.[/quote]

I have to be honest with you, I always update my Wordpress sites, plugins, and themes on their dev and/or test sites before I update them in production. There are cases of the 4.7 release breaking sites and about two years ago release 4.2.3, which was automatically pushed, broke thousands of sites.

Because I’m old, lazy, and I have such a mishmash of plugins, themes, and child themes strewn across several multi-site setups, I’d rather spend my time doing something other than sweating like a pig trying to recover a production server under the hot Texas sun, ergo, my insistence on testing on testing anywhere but production.

@olafdammann I too want Mautic to be better. Even in the current version, there’s problems. I think as long as its ‘working’, and not breaking anything at new updates, Mautic should become better with time. People just needs to help out rather than ‘complain’. Give ways to improve and help, not ‘complain’.

When I first started, I was a cowboy coder, do everything on live and fix as you go. But when you have sites that starts to make money, or Clients paying you to do their site, every error cost you in sales, so now it’s all test sites. The ones that’s not making money, I still do it live mode. So for me, it depends on the site I’m working on. Sometimes it’s not worth testing too much on a site that’s not making money.

Please, any help with integrating Mautic with Amazon SES or Sendgrid? Please help

@jaroslav.huss to avoid this, i think you should follow these steps

1. Create a dev environment for dev and testing
  2. Fork mautic repo to your own repo
  3. Create a dev branch
  4. Use dev branch on your workspace or dev environment
  5. Pull to dev branch when mautic get updated
  6. Test changes and get sure that all is working correctly
  7. If you fix something, pull request to community with fix
  8. Merge your dev branch to master
  9. Update your master branch on production environment

If your project is serious, you should work in a serious and safe environment.

@Zawro I’m sorry but I have to agree with @olafdammann here. You specifically said “don’t updgrade”.
I know it may sound harsh but @jaroslav.huss does have a valid point here.

Despite the fact Mautic is open source and free, it doesn’t mean it should be low quality or buggy. Updates should be tested more an more before released as stable. IT admins would have a chance to play and test with development versions while still keep the stable version in production servers.

If not for anything else, you should always keep software up to date to minimize the risk of security breaches.

We all love cool new features, but trading a working feature for a non-working new one is just not an option… And I’m not talking about Mautic having problems due to connection with 3rd party software. That would be understandable.