How to track failed email delivery?

I have send test email to 2 email addresses, one of which was fake.lead@nonexistent.test.

Obviously, postfix returned

Code:
May 19 12:27:03 mautic postfix/smtp[8445]: C6870729E: to=, relay=none, delay=0.49, delays=0.4/0.01/0.09/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=nonexistent.test type=AAAA: Host not found)

However, this was not reflected in Mautic GUI - Graph never shows "Failed" column which is always at zero.

What do I need to do in order to catch failed/bounced messages?
Thank You

I have send test email to 2 email addresses, one of which was fake.lead@nonexistent.test.
Obviously, postfix returned

May 19 12:27:03 mautic postfix/smtp[8445]: C6870729E: to=<fake.lead@nonexistent.test>, relay=none, delay=0.49, delays=0.4/0.01/0.09/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=nonexistent.test type=AAAA: Host not found)

However, this was not reflected in Mautic GUI - Graph never shows “Failed” column which is always at zero.

What do I need to do in order to catch failed/bounced messages?
Thank You

Hi,

We had the same problem, we send with SES and got a high bounce rates, but Mautic didn’t know about the bounces.

We dug into the code, and it turns out the SES api returns the data, but Mautic isn’t capturing it. A developer on my team is implementing it now (although only for SES) and we’ll be contributing that code to the project.

I have the same issue with Mandrill as the sender.

I feel this issue can be easily solved.
Given Mautic has some endpoint notification file to accept the pings from SMTPs.
In case of Amazon SES, notification can be sent through Amazon SNS and in case of Mandrill, this can be done through Mandrill Webhooks.
After, notification has been received, Mautic should also process to remove bounces, spammed and unsubscried emails from the list. This helps to keep the email list clean and healthy.

Also, if Mautic doesnot have this auto list cleaning feature, then Amazon SES will block this application very soon.

Thanks for that, it looks like an ideal solution.

Is there anywhere that that is documented so I can understand how to implement it?

Regards

William

Hi all

So - exciting news! Mautic will soon be adding Mandril webhook support. In fact you can test it now:

https://github.com/mautic/mautic/pull/429

This will post back failed messages from Mandrill to Mautic and tell you what happened to all the messages you sent. This is already merged in the 1.0.6 package, so as soon as we release that it’ll be added as a new feature. If you’re running a dev version of Mautic code you can pull in that PR and test it.

@chad.windnagle ,
Thanks for the update. Any news on bounces handling with the Amazon SES API?
Thanks

I’m not sure if Amazon SES need some special touch, but bounces handling had been introduced in Mautic 1.2.0.

https://github.com/mautic/mautic/releases/tag/1.2.0

1 Like

Thanks @escopecz for your reply,

Amazon SES has its own API to handle bounces. See step 5 and 6 here for setup instructions:
https://sendy.co/get-started

Right now, Mautic is only using it as an SMTP server. Truth is, if Amazon SES is implemented with proper bounces / spam handling, Mautic would do what Sendy does and way more, for a fully-integrated platform.

Amazon SES remains one of the most powerful and oft-used email tools for marketing.

@ehill,

That’s my fault for not writing and pushing docs. Will get to it soon.

You have to setup Amazon SES bounces to go to mailbox (which the mail box that you send from) and set up bounce handling the normal way in Mautic. I added a regexp in the bounces analysis code of Mautic to catch the bounces response from Amazon SES (which was accepted).

You can test it easily by sending a test marketing email to a bogus email (using SES of course) and running bounce handling (from the CLI). I believe you should see info in the Mautic logs (available from the UI as well)

Thanks

1 Like

@escopecz It still is not clear whether the 1.2.0 bounce management can effectively work with Amazon SES. Do you have any use cases?

I don’t have Amazon SES account, sorry. It’d be great if some community member who has it working could write a documentation about it…

Ahh, thanks, @ramez_rafla ! That’d be really great.

@ramez_rafla Did you also implement Amazon SNS for bounce management?

@ehill, Nope, didn’t need to. All SNS bounce management functionalities (that we needed) are available with the mailbox traversal approach.

@ramez_rafla Thanks. We have been frustrated with our inability (or maybe stupidity) in trying to get this set up. We will revert back to the email approach.

@escopecz We inadvertently entered an email address for the Bounce Management that was not configured and it appears the Mautic continues to try and connect, effectively preventing us from accessing any configuration function. Any suggestions about the appropriate approach?

Could you describe how is Mautic preventing you from accessing any configuration function? A screenshot? Some error message in the logs?

@escopecz We disabled the IMAP module and can now access the screen. Checking the log file and will provide shortly.