How to use Mautic Dynamic Web Content with anonymous contacts

I’be been trying to solve this for quite some time and I can’t get my head around it. I’m looking for a way to implement the flow in the chart below. In my blog, I’d like to show different promotional material (text-based ads) based on who visits the website. The first distinction I want to make is between anonymous and known contacts.

• If the visitor is anonymous, I’d like to push to one set of pages.
  • if the visitor is known to Mautic, I’d like to show them other ads… and
    • if they’re already MQLs or higher, push them to other parts of the site

I tried implementing this with a campaign in Mautic but I don’t see a way to start a segment that includes anonymous contacts.

I tried to approach this from the wordpress Mautic plugin like in the sample below but the php code doesn’t get executed inside the [mautic] shortcode block. I’m not even sure that this approach makes sense: when does Mautic shortcode produce the default value anyway?

[mautic type="content" slot="solved_interstitial"]<?php echo adrotate_group(1); ?>[/mautic]

Do you have any suggestions? This is the basic flow I have in mind:

thank you

1 Like

I never tried but I think this is a pretty interesting possibility.
I will try an idea that came to mind after seeing your post and report back if it works.

Hi, I had the same issue and created a workaround by using non campaign based for anonymous and campaign based for known. I do agree that it should be possible to create a campaign for anonymous.

3 Likes

Yeah, @ninjoan’s idea is more or less what I had in mind:

Create a Segment an use the Filter > Email > Empty .
Sample if you would like to use DWC for anonymous visitors from USA use
Filter > Email > Empty
Filter > Country > USA

I guess you could also add some default value to each new contact created, or a value based on the visited page, downloaded item, chat visited, etc. and filter by that too.

1 Like

@smaffulli: not sure what you have in mind exactly, but if you really just want a segment to works with, “email=empty” is the no-brainer.

But I think I do understand @ascholten 's point: We do want to deliver DWC even on first hit.
Therefore “segment” is the wrong approach, because it can take a while until a user is in any segment.

created a workaround by using non campaign based for anonymous and campaign based for known.

Without having tried, this sounds like a solution to me. @ascholten can you share an example, maybe?

P.S. If you happen to use TYPO3 CMS with Mautic, there’s a deeper integration that lets you implement this logic directly (and natively, w/o JavaScript).

I use WP. I created two Dynamic content items. The first one is form based. It has a filter to only show the form when firstname and lastname are empty. In the content I introduce myself and kindly ask how they want to be addressed. First name or last name. When the formfield is filled this slot is closed. Next a new slot with Dynamic content is shown which is campaign based. In this campaign I gradually reveal the anonimity of the visitor by asking relevant information only when that information is needed (maybe more GDPR proof, anyway more in line with the experience of the visitor).
It would be better if this could be put in one campaign, but campaigns need a segment. And a segment with contacts that have an empty email address field. is not the same as an anonymous visitor. I already tried this. I added a DC slot that was campaign based. I used a segment with filter email is empty. The content was not show when viewing the site in an incognito browser.
So what is needed is an adjustment in the segment filter which seems to filter among contact, due to which anonimous viewers are missing.

Sorry for the late feedback. Did you already find your perfect solution by now?
Either way, I have a couple of questions:

a) do i get you right that displaying DWC even on first click is NOT among what you are currently looking at?

b) “It would be better if this could be put in one campaign” -> you mean moving the form-based DWC into the campaign?

c) “a segment with contacts that have an empty email address field. is not the same as an anonymous visitor. I already tried this. I added a DC slot that was campaign based. I used a segment with filter email is empty. The content was not show when viewing the site in an incognito browser.”
-> oh it should! We (and many others) are using exactly “email = empty” for creating an “anonymous visitors” segment, all the time.
Or… What exactly is your desired definition of “anonymous”?

1 Like

Talking to Acquia support I understand what I have in mind cannot be implemented as I envisioned. I’ll have to use a different approach, similar to what @ascholten suggests.

Probably the wrong conclusion, this is Open Source Software, anything and everything is possible, if you put the time or resources towards it…

Hi all,

I did some testing. It was some time ago, that I set it up, so I had to find out again how I did it, with mixed results. First of all, the following is confusing. When a DWC item is created the campaign based switch can be toggled. This removed/adds the slotname field. When I want to add campaign based DWC to a page I need to know that a push action is required in the campaign builder, where I can name the slot. There is not selection list of available slots, so with hope an prayer a name is filled out.
Next what is confusing is that in campaign builder a pull request is needed, next a condition, next a push action(According to the manual). I was unable to get it to work on a mautic landingpage.
Maybe is would help if two types of DWC could be added to a (landing)page. Campaign and not-campaign based.
Next. I suspect this: When a segment is created with filter email=empty, the save action will trigger the adding of all contacts without an email to the segment. However. when a new visitor comes to the site there has not yet been any trigger to add the new visitor to the new segment. And since the new visitor is not in the segment the campaign based content is not show.
So what I have working now is actually all form based. At least 1 form is needed to add the new visitor to a segment. From there you can move the visitor to whatever you want.

To conclude:

• a segment with filter email-=empty does not work for new visitors. to fix this abuse a form.

• It would be great if an addaption is made for conclusion 1 so we could stay in the campaign builder. A form of segment that contains new visitors and does not require a trigger for adding to a segment

• Maybe add the feature to create a slot and use dropdowns to select the slot in campaign builder and landingpage.

• consider creating an alternative in campaign builder for pull-requist -> condition -> push action