Is Mautic about to die?

Hi there @abracadabra.photogra. Following up on a couple of the points you raised. It’s a bit of a long post, because I believe that these statements need a bit of unpacking in order to do justice to your question.

Before we go any further, I’d ask that you take a few minutes to revisit our Code of Conduct, with particular reference to this section:

• Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
  • Attempt collaboration before conflict.

I absolutely understand that it is frustrating when you have a problem and you can’t find an answer, or you don’t know how to resolve it. However, please have some consideration over how statements thrown out like these impact the people in our community who are giving their time to help and respond to questions.

Your statement in the post above comes across as being really quite disrespectful towards our community by suggesting they are unresponsive, small and dying because a couple of your posts haven’t had a reply in a time that you feel is acceptable.

In case you weren’t aware, the Mautic Community are a community of volunteers, giving their time to help others to learn and grow. This might involve answering questions on the forum, fixing bugs, writing documentation, or organising meetups. All people like you who are interested in Mautic, and want to give something back to help and support others.

Now, let’s dig into these posts where you haven’t had a response to see if we can figure out why that might be, because I know for a fact that the community is very responsive.

Yes, we are small, but we are actively growing. People in our community care deeply about Mautic, and about helping others to succeed using it.

I see one post in Support from January about Maxmind, where you did not use the required template and have not provided your Mautic version (which is critical to helping people troubleshoot with you) or fully explained the problem you were experiencing, the error logs you are seeing, and steps you’ve taken in troubleshooting.

Unfortunately this hinders people who might be willing to help you troubleshoot the problem, especially if they are doing so in their spare time, which I’m sure we all appreciate, is precious. So, the learning point from this thread is to use the template provided, give as much information as possible but at a minimum, the information required in the post template.

Also, I did a quick search and found that there are multiple other forum posts about Maxmind and geolocation from around this time, including one which has a workaround for the fact that Maxmind made an account mandatory which prevented the database from being downloaded.

I noticed you found some of these and posted replies, to which you had responses from community members with suggestions in some cases within 24 hours of your reply. So it seems that people did respond to your messages in a timely way in at least some of the instances where you asked for help.

As regards the Maxmind issue specifically, as this seems to be the one you were having problems with.

The workaround was provided to support community members (linked in the forum thread above) before we merged support for this in 2.16 just a few weeks ago. So this issue is fixed and merged in the latest release, 2.16. The documentation hasn’t yet been updated to reflect the new process but I posted a message today in our Community slack channel to ask someone to update it.

I see another post in Support asking a very generic question AMP pages which doesn’t have enough detail for people to respond, in my opinion.

What exactly do you expect Mautic to do with AMP pages? Build them? Track activity on them? I expect this would be better received if it was written up more fully as a discussion in General Discussion. Again, folk have limited time when they are responding in the forums, so a clearly laid out question is much more likely to get a response.

Finally, this last post is your third post, complaining that the community is not responsive and documentation is poor.

To speak to your point of not having a response (we’ve already identified that you had some responses to your replies on an old thread, and that the first post perhaps didn’t have enough detail), the second post above was shared three days ago, with a weekend in between.

Many of our community work full time, and give their time on the forums during their working day, over lunch breaks, and in the evenings. Many of our active contributors spend hours supporting releases, answering questions, working on projects - all to support the community, and all in their own spare time.

Many spend the weekend with their families. Please bear that in mind and consider how those judgements land when you make a statement like this.

Finally to speak to your suggestion:

If anything, Mautic is growing and thriving. We’re in beta testing for Mautic 3, which is a complete re-write of the entire platform to support Symfony 3. Acquia’s engineers have been leading this charge, and have spent the last quarter pretty much solely focused on this with support from the Community.

We’ve just released 2.16 and we’re in the process of lining up 2.16.1 to address some outstanding bugs which have been fixed.

We’re rebuilding our mautic.org website in Drupal which is launching in March.

We have shared an initial draft of a product roadmap and are working on introducing a new branching strategy which makes it easier to support multiple versions concurrently (as we are extending support for 2.16 for a while until people have had time to transition to 3.x.

The community organised its first summit in November 2019 in Amsterdam, and we’re just in the process of organising our second one in Ghent which will be in April 2020. The first MautiCon is being organised for September 2020.

So, it’s really about what measures you use to determine the health of the community and the project.

From my perspective, we absolutely have some holes, and we have some aspects where we need to up our game. Rest assured, we’re working on it.

On the whole though, I think we’re doing pretty good.

There’s always room to improve, but we are definitely making good progress.

Maybe I’m biased, but perhaps others from the Community will chime in on this discussion and give their own input. We also have a community health dashboard which shows all of what I have mentioned above using cold hard data, should you want to take a look :slight_smile:

If you want to be a part of a growing, thriving community that has many, many opportunities to both learn more about Mautic, and work with some outstanding people from around the world on making it better, we would absolutely welcome you with open arms. There is much to do, and the more skills we can bring into the Community, the better Mautic will become!

14 Likes