Meeting Notes 15th Jan 2020

Hello @channel and welcome to the team meeting! If you haven’t done an asynchronous meeting before, please respond in threads :slightly_smiling_face:Also note you can start a reply with :bust_in_silhouette: to be anon, or :no_entry_sign: to go off the record and not be included in the notes, which will be exported and saved to Google Docs, and posted on the Community Forums.The meeting will be open for 24 hours, after which the notes will be exported. People may comment thereafter but these won’t be included in the notes.Let’s get going! :arrow_down:

0️⃣ Introductions - A quick intro including (as you like) who you are, where you’re from, how you’re involved with Mautic and this team (or how you would like to get involved if you’re new - welcome! :wave:) and how your day has been so far!

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hi from a very wet and windy UK in the grips of Storm Brendan! I’m the Community Manager and have been involved with Mautic since the early days :slightly_smiling_face:
prodigitude Mary Matson, from Arizona in USA. Normally sunny and warm but kind of chilly today with a high of only 62 degrees F. My title at the company that I work for is SEO and Technical Marketing Engineer but I do a lot of dev ops as well. I have been following and using Mautic for years.
ekke Hi, I'm Ekke, at home in Germany (but currently skiing in the alps.) I am co-running an agency of 30 people and Mautic is supposed to be a much more important part of that, so I am trying to help where I can (bringing over 15 years of active OS contribution and community in the TYPO3 project.)
Nico Grienauer (he/him) I'm Nico From Vienna, Since 2005 in the Drupal CMS Area and since 2009 Board Member from Drupal Austria. I help to spread Open Source Software and develop it further. I am Founder of acolono.com a company with 10 Employees specialized in Drupal, Styleguides, Audits/analytics/metrics.

1️⃣ Review actions from last meeting - Notes https://forum.mautic.org/t/marketing-team-meeting-agenda-notes-13th-december-2019/12077

1️⃣ . 1️⃣ Article announcing M3 alpha

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) This has gone out - thanks for everybody’s help with this @ekke @floris @prodigitude - had to change the image due to concerns over trademark infringements on BMW’s logo so now using a photo from Ekke
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Have had some good responses so far, and follow up articles from Autoize and Powertic: https://autoize.com/mautic-3-support/ and https://powertic.com/pt-br/mautic-3-0-0-alpha/
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Lots of shares/engagement on social media as well

1️⃣ , 2️⃣ Still pending an article writer for the dev/staging article

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Can someone work with me (or suggest someone who might be up for writing this) who has experience of setting up environments?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) The aim of this is to explain to people how they can set up a testing environment before they update their Mautic instance - so that they can test M3 when we launch the stable release, rather than do an upgrade on their live server
prodigitude I need to find some time but I could help with this.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) That would be super helpful!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We could also push the info over into the docs, if it’s helpful to have more easily available
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Shall I start up a Google Doc, and we can get putting some ideas together?
ekke (side note: Going forward, we'll want to figure out the lines between Marketing and Education team for things like this : )
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, I was just thinking that when I was writing it. Also for the M3 featureset topic later on

2️⃣ Mautic 3 campaign

2️⃣ . 1️⃣ Release schedule - need to start drafting announcement for beta release (due to land on Monday)

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Would anybody like to help with this? It could just be a social media campaign if we don’t need a full article about the release - depends on what the team determine
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’d like to have something ready to go, so that when they do hit the button and make the release, we can pretty much send it out right away
ekke Tight for me this week, but I'll try my best. Good example for me to learn, e.g.: what exactly would the intended outcome be for you? A Google Doc with a draft for Twitter (one sentence) and for FB (a handful of sentences)?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I used to use a social media spreadsheet which had all the character counts set up - let me see if I can track down the template and clone it
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Unless someone already has one!
ekke ok, but that's really it - copy for the various channels - right?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) yerp
ekke :+1:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I don’t think we need another article for the beta release, what do folks think?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) like, we can just reference the article, update the link on the beta part of the release schedule
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) so I think copy for social is enough
ekke yup. And I'd just refer to the md for the new tech details.

2️⃣ . 2️⃣ Collateral on changes in Mautic 3 and linking to resources

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) There are some breaking changes, and the new WYSIWYG editor, so it would be nice to call this out, and also to call out just how much work went into the release - lines of code changed, commits made, PR’s merged, people involved and so forth. Also to point people to where they can find more (e.g. resource on the docs)Maybe an infographic, video/interview or similar? We’ve been a bit text-heavy so far so perhaps alternative formats might be nice to explore. Open to ideas/suggestions!
ekke New WYSIWYG editor - you mean new file manager? Or did I miss a surprise feature?
ekke nonetheless, like the idea, but can't really help currently.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Oh maybe I meant file manager, have to check back in the release notes
ekke :slightly_smiling_face:
ekke Also, I think it's two topics (a) collect the actual facts and numbers, (b) turn that into a good-looking infografic (do we have any pre-existing ones? maybe a preferred, tool, template, ...?)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) “There is a new file manager. You can see it when you go to a WYSIWYG editor and try to add an image for example.”
ekke exactly
ekke a replacement for /app/bundles/CoreBundle/Assets/js/libraries/ckeditor/filemanager/index.html
ekke but not a new editor
ekke right? (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I guess, I’d need to find out more
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think I’ve been saying ‘editor’ when I should have been saying ‘file manager’ :neutral_face:
ekke Too bad, a new editor would've been nice ;)

2️⃣ . 3️⃣ Plan campaign for Mautic 3 general availability

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) If all goes according to schedule we should be launching Mautic 3 in the first week of February.It would be great if someone would like to plan out a campaign for this - doesn’t have to be massive but would be nice to try and get some features/writeups, alongside the basics of an article on mautic.org, social media posts, and ensuring that contributors are recognised for all the work that has gone into it etc.I’m happy to help support!

3️⃣ Update on Mautic.org website redesign project

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Work is now underway by the professional services team at Acquia, they have done an initial migration of the content from Wordpress and the basic setup of the theme. We will be inviting a small team from the community to be involved in the end of sprint demos - currently myself and @ekke but if others wish to join please let us know.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’ve also ensured every article has a meta description and excerpt (most were missing) and killed off several pages that had no content, tidied up some of the navigation structure, and generally trying to keep an eye on the SEO side of things
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) The new site will be fully responsive and have a much nicer mobile navigation :clap:
ekke "by the professional services team at Acquia" is that the team that we talked to (last year), or was there a change?
ekke And is the project brief still the same, or updated (not even sure by whome)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes the team we talked to last year
ekke ok, wasn't sure :wink:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Tanay and Prasad are the leaders, and there are several people who are working on the project
ekke thx
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Brief the same, only bit I am a touch sad about is that the marketplace is out of scope.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) But with the work @john is doing that might not be a bad thing.
Nico Grienauer (he/him) could also have an eye at the end of sprint demos if you want.

4️⃣ FOSDEM stand support and materials

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We have a roll up banner design underway, but need to provide some copy for a flier. I’d love if someone could help with this, I’m making a start this week.We have a couple of community members who are planning to be at FOSDEM so I’m hopeful that they can support some of the time on the Saturday.Will need to write some social media posts telling folks that we’re going to be there, and inviting them to stop by. Should be no more than a 20 minute task or there abouts.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://fosdem.org/2020/ for more info (edited)
Nico Grienauer (he/him) maybe https://trello.com/c/wh6dv2sL/7-create-visuals-for-mautic-3-release#action-5dfe088785f74f7f72b29509 could be a start which floris uploaded. (edited)
Nico Grienauer (he/him) if I get a document with ALL text and grouped with infos and which side it should be "I/my company" can help creating the printable A5 flyer design. but therefory I would expect the final texts and some design elements I should use.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) To clarify, we have the design work in hand (acquia are doing it)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) but yes, we would need the text for the flier
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) and, we can’t use the BMW-inspired graphics due to trademark concerns, the materials we’re designing should ideally be generic and able to be used at multiple events rather than just about Mautic 3, otherwise we may end up with wastage which I’m keen to avoid if we can. We did a flier to promote the contribution day so I think we’re going to use similar design elements, but I will share visuals when they are shared with me for feedback!

5️⃣ mautic.org mautic instance

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) So, I’ve been looking into this as we would like to resurrect the ability to contact people on a monthly basis with updates from the community, and also to be able to send people who download via the website some useful resources, notify people in a geo region of meetups near them etc.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) There are a few challenges. The current instance was used by both mautic.org and mautic inc, and the lists haven’t been screened/processed for GDPR compliance. We also don’t have any theme/email template/landing page designs.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) One route is to clean up the existing instance, and use that. Or, we start a completely fresh instance and go from a clean break.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Acquia has also offered us a hosted instance, if we wanted to use it.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’m open to thoughts from people as to which would be the best route for us to go down. At the moment we capture everybody who fills out the info on the download form, but we’re not doing anything with it. It’s a huge missed opportunity both to direct people to the different community channels, and to proactively engage with new users of Mautic.
ekke Fresh instance sounds like a no-brainer to me, including a simple email template (do we even need an LP?) and GDPR compliance. Thus a better groundwork for everything else.Actually USING any new data (and deciding on the usage of the existing data) would be for the community team to take care of, right?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yep, simple but clean email template (maybe one for transactional/announcement and one for more of a newsletter style?). Don’t think we need a LP right now, but maybe in the future (thinking for things like community team elections, and so forth)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) And yes, using the data would be community+marketing team collaboration, I feel.
ekke :+1:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Self-hosted, or cloud instance?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) what are your thoughts? (edited)
ekke Nothing wrong with Cloud in this case - the legal owner of the instance would currently be Acquia anyway, I assume. And should we come to a point where it limits us (e.g. we want to use our own plugins), wouldn't we able to get a database dump?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah, having a cloud instance would mean that we wouldn’t need to worry about maintaining etc. But also that we may have restrictions when it comes to third-party plugins (you can’t just install anything on the infrastructure)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We could ask for plugins we want/need to be reviewed by their team, but I would need to find out more detail about if there are any restrictions.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I believe it should be possible to get an export but I don’t know how easy it is to go hosted->open source, again I can find that out
ekke ok good!

Participants:

Ruth Cheesley (she/her), prodigitude, ekke, Nico Grienauer (he/him)

1 Like