Need help understanding how unsubscription works

Hope community doing great.

I am fairly new to mautic but have already read the related documentation on this aspect, tried to search through this forum and some google searching as well but I still need some understanding about unsubscription process in mautic.

I will be writing my whole experience so please bear with me… so that I can know where and what must be the problem… I will ask my question at the bottom…

I have amazon ses integrated with mautic to send emails I followed this tutorial: https://medium.com/@AndreiVoica/how-to-integrate-mautic-with-amazon-ses-7fe066e9131c#.s7x7mca5v

I have three emails for this example and all are verified within amazon ses

1. to send emails
  2. to collect complaints and bounces
  3. where i sent the test email to confirm if things are working fine.

I created one email and send it to the only person in the segment (the third email i mentioned) and it went smoothly and email did hit the inbox. This is what I did to send the email:

Went to emails > clicked new > selected segment email > selected blank template > gave a subject + internal name ? > selected the right segment > created the category and selected it > published: Yes > selected publish date to any future date > save and close

Now I had one email in the list with category selected, stats and Id. Stats were saying 1 pending 0 sent 0 read 0% read.

I clicked the email name and I had buttons at the right: Edit + Send + Send Example + Close and the drop down button.

I first clicked Send example and the window showed up with the only recepient I had in the segment. I clicked send and the email did arrive. Now this is definitely just an example and not the whole job.

I then clicked send button, It asked for number of emails to send per batch, as I had only 1 contact in the list so I wasn’t afraid to leave the amount to 100. I clicked send. It started the progress bar moved and later completed. I did receive the email AGAIN!

So far so good…

Now… just to check if unsubscription works… I opened the email and clicked the unsubscribe link. It lead to the page where it said “We will miss you” or something like that. OK. I came back in mautic > clicked the contact > and now it does say “Do Not Contact” under the gravatar.

So far everything is fine and moving as expected.

After this I went to email where I am supposed to receive notifications about bounce and complaints and nothing showed up there. What I think is that I should be having an email or message of some kind so that mautic can read it and process unsubscribers? No?

If not… then how should I process the unsubscribers? As contact is marked Do Not Contact… I mean to say how should I remove them… is it done automatically? Or supposed to be done manually?

Just to confirm that same contact who unsubscribed don’t receive future email… I created another email and sent it to same segment and it didn’t sent the email to unsubscribed email but the other one did receive the email.

So my questions:

4. Should I not receive an email in my dedicated email I am using for receiving unsubscription and bounce message?
  5. Do we have to process unsubscribed emails manually or is it taken care of automatically?
  6. Or there is a problem with my amazon ses configuration or CRON job?

Looking forward to any help in this regard

Thank you!

Hope community doing great.

I am fairly new to mautic but have already read the related documentation on this aspect, tried to search through this forum and some google searching as well but I still need some understanding about unsubscription process in mautic.

I will be writing my whole experience so please bear with me… so that I can know where and what must be the problem… I will ask my question at the bottom…

I have amazon ses integrated with mautic to send emails I followed this tutorial: https://medium.com/@AndreiVoica/how-to-integrate-mautic-with-amazon-ses-7fe066e9131c#.s7x7mca5v

I have three emails for this example and all are verified within amazon ses

1. to send emails
  2. to collect complaints and bounces
  3. where i sent the test email to confirm if things are working fine.

I created one email and send it to the only person in the segment (the third email i mentioned) and it went smoothly and email did hit the inbox. This is what I did to send the email:

Went to emails > clicked new > selected segment email > selected blank template > gave a subject + internal name ? > selected the right segment > created the category and selected it > published: Yes > selected publish date to any future date > save and close

Now I had one email in the list with category selected, stats and Id. Stats were saying 1 pending 0 sent 0 read 0% read.

I clicked the email name and I had buttons at the right: Edit + Send + Send Example + Close and the drop down button.

I first clicked Send example and the window showed up with the only recepient I had in the segment. I clicked send and the email did arrive. Now this is definitely just an example and not the whole job.

I then clicked send button, It asked for number of emails to send per batch, as I had only 1 contact in the list so I wasn’t afraid to leave the amount to 100. I clicked send. It started the progress bar moved and later completed. I did receive the email AGAIN!

So far so good…

Now… just to check if unsubscription works… I opened the email and clicked the unsubscribe link. It lead to the page where it said “We will miss you” or something like that. OK. I came back in mautic > clicked the contact > and now it does say “Do Not Contact” under the gravatar.

So far everything is fine and moving as expected.

After this I went to email where I am supposed to receive notifications about bounce and complaints and nothing showed up there. What I think is that I should be having an email or message of some kind so that mautic can read it and process unsubscribers? No?

If not… then how should I process the unsubscribers? As contact is marked Do Not Contact… I mean to say how should I remove them… is it done automatically? Or supposed to be done manually?

Just to confirm that same contact who unsubscribed don’t receive future email… I created another email and sent it to same segment and it didn’t sent the email to unsubscribed email but the other one did receive the email.

So my questions:

1. Should I not receive an email in my dedicated email I am using for receiving unsubscription and bounce message?
  2. Do we have to process unsubscribed emails manually or is it taken care of automatically?
  3. Or there is a problem with my amazon ses configuration or CRON job?

Looking forward to any help in this regard

Thank you!

Bump! Help anyone? Any hint? Anywhere to look? Any guide or something? :slight_smile:

[quote=20217:@MxyzptlkFishStix]You clicked the unsubscribed link and it worked as advertised. It’s done automatically.

Bounces are for when sending to someone and the receiving email server sends a notification back that the email account is unavailable or doesn’t exist. Complaints are for when someone marks your email as spam. Neither of those situations occurred, so there is no notification.[/quote]

Bummer… I didnt check for that… and mixed unsubscription with other two… darn… thanks for replying… will try with spam marking if it triggers a message.