Page Views never assigned to contact

Your software
My Mautic version is: 3.0.2
My PHP version is: 7.3.20
My Database type and version is: MySQL 8.0.19

Your problem
My problem is: Page views are being logged but are never assigned to a contact. I have set up a newsletter sign up form using a “focus item” and this adds the email address to the contact list.

I’ve also added an action to add 10 points to a contact if they visit a certain URL, but these points never get assigned.

I created a report with the columns “Date Hit”, “Hit URL” and “Contact Email” and on this report all entries have nothing in the “Contact Email” column, but I can see the page views I’m making from the same browser session coming into the report.

Also, in the include “Leads and Points” report, I can see the page views have triggered additional points but again, the “Email” column is empty.

So, it appears the page views are being logged to Mautic fine, but never linked up to a contact. Have I missed a configuration step somewhere along the line?

These errors are showing in the log: No

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: None, I don’t know what to try, hence asking here :slight_smile:

Hi,

Couple of questions: are your crons running okay?
When you open a contact with an email (Identified contact) - do you see the page visits? Should this contact also have points, if so do you see them? What if you do the points recursively?

I created a report with the columns “Date Hit”, “Hit URL” and “Contact Email” and on this report all entries have nothing in the “Contact Email” column, but I can see the page views I’m making from the same browser session coming into the report.

Your report is wrong probably, don’t be disappointed, reports are not easy to master. You need to use grouping properly.

are your crons running okay?

I’m using the official Docker container and the environment var MAUTIC_RUN_CRON_JOBS is set to true and other things, like scheduling an email to send to a segment are working, so I believe so.

When you open a contact with an email (Identified contact) - do you see the page visits?

No, it shows the events for “Form submitted” and “Email read” but nothing for “Page hit”.

Should this contact also have points, if so do you see them?

No, the contact has 0 points. ATM, this is only on test, as I’m getting it set up, so I’m just working with a single “contact”, me, but I’ve tried in a “normal” browser session and an “incognito” session, submitting the sign-up form and then visiting the URL I have set up in the action. This generates a new data point in the “Leads and Points” report, but like I said, the “Email” column in that report is empty.

What if you do the points recursively?

No difference.

Your report is wrong probably, don’t be disappointed, reports are not easy to master. You need to use grouping properly.

Maybe, but it was a pretty simple report with just three columns and no grouping. Without any grouping I get 236 items returned, but if I group by “Contact email” I just get 1 item return and the first two columns, “Date hit” and “Hit URL” are the same as the first row in the ungrouped report when ordered by the “Date hit” column, which is what I would expect.

If I view the ungrouped report and order by “Date hit” DESC, so newest first and then visit a page and refresh the report the new page view appears at the top of the report, so again, seems like it is working ok tracking the page views, but not associating them to a contact.

Okay, let’s narrow more down how you tested. Mind the following 2 conditions when you test:

1. Admin is invisible:
    If you test as an admin (you previously used Mautic as an admin with the same browser), then your tracking will be disabled - you can’t test
  2. Privacy View won’t let you use cookies from previous sessions
    If you use the privacy window, the tracking might not work with matching contacts

@joeyk - For testing, I used a different browser, Firefox, normally use Chrome, and a different email address to the email address used on Mautic admin account.

@da644 I have the same problem. Did you resolved that?

Can you check the source code and see if mtc.js loads?
Also: any errors in console?

I am having a similar issue where I am passing the email in mTC call but it does not get associated with the contact. Not sure if I should create a separate thread for it insead.

Do you have errors in your browser console when the page loads? Any cross-site communication blocked? Is your Mautic domain a subdomain of Website domain?

Yes its working and connecting
Its even getting a response back and now its creating a new lead instead of matching it with an existing lead that has that same email.

Okay, do you have Email defined as key? (In your custom field list, it should be an unique variable)

Yes
Just for reference, this is what it looks like.

any ideas?

If you are passing the email to the mtc, you need the value to be publicly updateable.
Can you try that? (turn on that setting)

Marking it publicly updatable did the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.