Page Views Not Registering for Contacts Already in Database

I’ve got a campaign setup to track newsletter opt-ins, which includes a step for the subscriber to click a link in their email to confirm their subscription.

For a brand new contact, it works fine. User submits email address, which triggers a confirmation email to be sent. User checks email and clicks the confirmation link to end up on a landing page (in Mautic). Hitting that landing page triggers the contact to be added to the Newsletter Subscribers segment.

However, for some reason, when a contact already exists in the database (e.g. imported from our marketing list), the page view that should trigger the opt-in confirmation never registers. The click on the email still is recorded properly and that’s how I see that the email was viewed (even when images are blocked in email). The page they end up on just doesn’t seem to register as a view, so the next stage of the campaign (to add them to the right segment) is never triggered. To the actual user, the experience appears to have worked.

Any ideas?

Any ideas how to even diagnose further?

I’ve got a campaign setup to track newsletter opt-ins, which includes a step for the subscriber to click a link in their email to confirm their subscription.

For a brand new contact, it works fine. User submits email address, which triggers a confirmation email to be sent. User checks email and clicks the confirmation link to end up on a landing page (in Mautic). Hitting that landing page triggers the contact to be added to the Newsletter Subscribers segment.

However, for some reason, when a contact already exists in the database (e.g. imported from our marketing list), the page view that should trigger the opt-in confirmation never registers. The click on the email still is recorded properly and that’s how I see that the email was viewed (even when images are blocked in email). The page they end up on just doesn’t seem to register as a view, so the next stage of the campaign (to add them to the right segment) is never triggered. To the actual user, the experience appears to have worked.

Any ideas?

Any ideas how to even diagnose further?

This doesn’t answer your question, but why not take the link click as the confirmation instead of the landing page view (given that the former is working, and they’re basically the same)?

1 Like

I thought about that, but the Decision options I have in the flow are:
Downloads an Asset
Opens Email
Request Dynamic Content
Submits Form
Visits a Page

I don’t have an option for clicks a link.

The only way I know the link is clicked when the tracking pixel is blocked is because the link is clicked. However, if I use that as the baseline, and someone has the tracking pixel “not blocked,” then it would register as a confirmation even if the “Confirm” link is not clicked.

Fair enough. Could you check your Mautic logs, just to see if there’s any errors coming up?

No errors in the Mautic logs. However, interestingly, in the JS console on my confirmation page, I see the following two errors:

[quote]mtc.js:13 Mautic tracking is not initiated correctly. Follow the documentation.
mtc.js:11 Mautic tracking is not initiated correctly. Follow the documentation.[/quote]

The weird thing is that these are showing in the console on the confirmation page after a sequence that does work to correctly track that page view. I’ve got some more testing to do to see if I can narrow this down.

UPDATE: I got it to recognize the page view of a user that was already in the database. The difference? One difference was that the contact that was already in the database, but that had the page view tracked (contrary to my initial statement of the issue in this thread) had no tags. So I went back to one of the others that wasn’t working, deleted the customer tags, and re-clicked the confirm link. Now the page view was tracked. It doesn’t make sense why this would make a difference unless there’s a bug in there somewhere, so I’m going to continue to test some other variations to the scenario.

Glad you’re making progress. If it does turn out that tags are the problem please report the issue over at Mautic’s GitHub page.

@Elenchus Do you know specifically how page views are counted? Is it based on cookie tracking? (in which case, does that mean the page view tracking would not work if cookies are disabled?)

I believe it’s through the Mautic tracking pixel, so that has to be on the page. I’m not sure about cookies, although if I had to bet I’d say that should still be fine. I think adblockers can stop it though.

Your tip helped me after few hours of trying to make the double opt-in work! Thank you a lot!