Segment filter tags

Hi guys,

Im testing out the ability to use a filter to define my segments.

I would like to define a segment based on the tags for the user.

For example, if I tag the user as “active” and “beginner” they would go into the “Active Beginner” segment.

Im testing this now, and I am getting some very odd results.

I am filtering to include tags active and testing, and excluding “unsubscribe-beginner”. I do this so I can tag a user to unsubscribe them from a particular list.

So I save that, and it says my segment has 71 contacts. I click to view the contacts and 7 are showing. (???)

I am curious if I am using segment filters as intended, or this is a different use for this feature.

And the count of 71 and actual 7 users is odd to me as well.

Are the tag filters mutually exclusive in the sense that if I use an “including tags” filter that is one “query” and then “Excluding” is another completely separate query.

For example, it will grab all of the users who have the “active” and “testing” tags (which should be 0 I have no one tagged as testing), and then it runs the second filter for “excluding unsubscribe-beginner” tag (which equates to all my contacts) and that is the one that gets triggered???

I would have assumed that these would run in combination…so both have to be “met” in order to filter…or may be the counter for the segment is just wrong ;-)

would love to know so that I can create campaigns etc. Ill file an issue so others can test unless i hear back.

Thanks,

John

Hi guys,

Im testing out the ability to use a filter to define my segments.

I would like to define a segment based on the tags for the user.

For example, if I tag the user as “active” and “beginner” they would go into the “Active Beginner” segment.

Im testing this now, and I am getting some very odd results.

I am filtering to include tags active and testing, and excluding “unsubscribe-beginner”. I do this so I can tag a user to unsubscribe them from a particular list.

So I save that, and it says my segment has 71 contacts. I click to view the contacts and 7 are showing. (???)

I am curious if I am using segment filters as intended, or this is a different use for this feature.

And the count of 71 and actual 7 users is odd to me as well.

Are the tag filters mutually exclusive in the sense that if I use an “including tags” filter that is one “query” and then “Excluding” is another completely separate query.

For example, it will grab all of the users who have the “active” and “testing” tags (which should be 0 I have no one tagged as testing), and then it runs the second filter for “excluding unsubscribe-beginner” tag (which equates to all my contacts) and that is the one that gets triggered???

I would have assumed that these would run in combination…so both have to be “met” in order to filter…or may be the counter for the segment is just wrong :wink:

would love to know so that I can create campaigns etc. Ill file an issue so others can test unless i hear back.

Thanks,
John

If I add segment filter “tags” and “including” multiple tags it gets interesting…just trying to figure out intent of this feature.

I have 7 contacts with the tag “active”
I have 5 contacts with the tag “pre-registration”
I have 73 total contacts.

My goal would be to create a filter that includes multiple tags.

If I create a filter which includes “active” I get 73 contacts.
If I create a filter which includes “pre-registration” I get 5 contacts.
If I create a filter which includes “active, pre-registration” I get 73 contacts.

So it would seem that adding multiple tags in the filters is using the list of tags as an “OR” and I thought it would include ALL of the tags listed.

Is this the case?

Also when I search tag:active I get 7 contacts, not 73 as the filter suggests.

So maybe there is a cache issue??

So I just added TWO separate tag filters both “including”…

First one, “active”, Second one “newbie” (which has 0 contacts)… The filter works and I get 0.

So the multiple tag filters work, but by applying multiple tags in ONE Tag filter treats as an OR on each tag in the list.

Correct?