Send email using API

I am new to Mautic and still figuring out all my use cases. One of the consistent ways we use our current automation tool is using their API to send emails to groups, both marketing and transactional. In one case we have a group of subscribers who we send daily market data. The data is assimilated into html in different analysis tool, the marketing automation tool FETCH’s the html and then sends it to the subscriber list in an email. This happens daily and is kickedoff by a REST statement.

1. Can I send emails to Mautic segments via REST (preferably JSON) using the API?
  2. Can Mautic FETCH email HTML from other sources?

I am new to Mautic and still figuring out all my use cases. One of the consistent ways we use our current automation tool is using their API to send emails to groups, both marketing and transactional. In one case we have a group of subscribers who we send daily market data. The data is assimilated into html in different analysis tool, the marketing automation tool FETCH’s the html and then sends it to the subscriber list in an email. This happens daily and is kickedoff by a REST statement.

1. Can I send emails to Mautic segments via REST (preferably JSON) using the API?
  2. Can Mautic FETCH email HTML from other sources?

If number 1 is a no, how are people kicking off emails programatically?

The EmailModel.php inside EmailBundle contains various functions to send emails programmatically.

Ex:

sendEmailToLists sends email to all the contacts in a given segment(lead list).
ref: https://github.com/mautic/mautic/blob/staging/app/bundles/EmailBundle/Model/EmailModel.php#L871