Moving from custom solution with phplist to Mautic, can emails be sent from an external URL?

Hi everyone. New to Mautic, just configuring on Vo 3.
We would like to move our current solution which consist approx of:

• a custom sophisticated email designer generator based mjml in which we can include data from our own products/database. This produces a URL with a ready made HTML email including variables that can then be parsed by phplist
  • we sync all new contacts and subscriptions to phplist via API
  • we create a new campaign (email delivery in phplist), choose lists and send the email based on our URL via SES

We are hoping to move all this process to Mautic but the email template generator is too limited and we would like to maintain this logic of either pasting the whole html for the email or ideally using our URL to generate the content using Mautic syntax variables.

So far from my readings I understand this is not possible with Mautic and email HTML contents HAS to be created within Mautic interface? Can someone confirm if this is so and if there are any solutions or extensions to do that?

Alternatively can I “push” via API a design from my own solution so it gets created as a campaign on Mautic ready for delivery?

Many thanks.

Hey!

a custom sophisticated email designer generator based mjml in which we can include data from our own products/database. This produces a URL with a ready made HTML email including variables that can then be parsed by phplist

You can import email templates via API: Mautic Developer Documentation

we sync all new contacts and subscriptions to phplist via API

Sync meaning 2 way? How large is your list?
You can also do this instead of complicated syncing:

• PHP list an API in new contacts to Mautic. Assign tags to your contacts, and create segments, that filters by tags.
  • Create a campaign in Mautic, that recognises new do not contacts and sends a webhook to PHPlist to update their status

we create a new campaign (email delivery in phplist), choose lists and send the email based on our URL via SES

You can do this in Mautic too, however

• there are no lists (you have segments, which kinda works the same just more dynamic)
  • SES works only with SMTP connection out of the box
  • in Mautic this is called ‘Segment email’, or ‘Broadcast’

We are hoping to move all this process to Mautic but the email template generator is too limited and we would like to maintain this logic of either pasting the whole html for the email or ideally using our URL to generate the content using Mautic syntax variables.

For sending email you really need to make just 2 changes in your template:

• Web view: {webview_url}
  • Unsubscribe link: {unsubscribe_url}

So far from my readings I understand this is not possible with Mautic and email HTML contents HAS to be created within Mautic interface? Can someone confirm if this is so and if there are any solutions or extensions to do that?

No. You can API in, that is the easiest.

Alternatively can I “push” via API a design from my own solution so it gets created as a campaign on Mautic ready for delivery?

Correct.

Good luck to you!

1 Like