Tracking Leads from Independent Sources Outside Mautic

I’d like to say I’m incredibly impressed with Mautic! It’s difficult for me to explain my question, but please bear with me. I’ll do my best.

I have a separate process to collect lead data that is completely independent of Mautic and exists in another code base. I just set up custom code to import those leads into Mautic via the REST API through a cron job. It has to be this way for now, as I do not have the flexibility to modify the application on the independent system.

Here’s how my system works:

We collect lead data on a custom website (completely independent of Mautic)

The tracking pixel for Mautic is on the THANKS page that the user sees after submitting data

The tracking pixel is only on the THANKS page because the site is an extremely high traffic site and I do not want to be tracking all the anonymous leads.

I want to know the best way to match up the data from my custom website to the tracking pixel that was served on the THANKS page. If I am importing the data via the API and a lead has already been tracked by Mautic as anonymous via the tracking pixel on the THANKS page, how will Mautic merge the leads after I import them?

If I were to create a custom field called IP Address, is Mautic smart enough to merge the leads?

Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

Is the tracking information an “event”? If so, are the events available to the REST API?

The documentation is very lax on this subject. I am really curious to understand how the lead tracking process works. Thanks in advance.

I’d like to say I’m incredibly impressed with Mautic! It’s difficult for me to explain my question, but please bear with me. I’ll do my best.

I have a separate process to collect lead data that is completely independent of Mautic and exists in another code base. I just set up custom code to import those leads into Mautic via the REST API through a cron job. It has to be this way for now, as I do not have the flexibility to modify the application on the independent system.

Here’s how my system works:

We collect lead data on a custom website (completely independent of Mautic)
The tracking pixel for Mautic is on the THANKS page that the user sees after submitting data

The tracking pixel is only on the THANKS page because the site is an extremely high traffic site and I do not want to be tracking all the anonymous leads.

I want to know the best way to match up the data from my custom website to the tracking pixel that was served on the THANKS page. If I am importing the data via the API and a lead has already been tracked by Mautic as anonymous via the tracking pixel on the THANKS page, how will Mautic merge the leads after I import them?

If I were to create a custom field called IP Address, is Mautic smart enough to merge the leads?

Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

Is the tracking information an “event”? If so, are the events available to the REST API?

The documentation is very lax on this subject. I am really curious to understand how the lead tracking process works. Thanks in advance.