Tracking works for Segment Emails but doesn't for campaign emails

My Mautic version is: 4.0
My PHP version is: 7.4.23
My Database type and version is: MySQL 5.7

My problem is: If I create a segment email and send without creating a campaign, everything works perfectly. If I create a campaign and allow it to be triggered by cron jobs, nothing gets tracked after the email is sent. No opens, clicks etc.

I’ve confirmed this isn’t an issue with the SMTP provider (Postmark) by using a couple of other SMTP services I manage (AWS SES and MXRoute). Same exact behaviour on both of those so appears to be a Mautic issue.

Tracking pixel is enabled to be placed in email body (and I’ve tried disabling as well). I know that tracking can be done on campaigns because Postmark records opens and clicks. I’ve setup other instances of Mautic over the years and never seen this issue with campaigns. I’ve tried increasing PHP memory on server, tried both SMTP and API credentials from Postmark (using SMTP credentials doesn’t even send the campaign emails. I just get the error “syntax error: should have returned 250 code but returned 501 code helo hostname.”

I’ve also enabled and disabled base64 encoding, made sure that server and Mautic time zones match and played around with from names and emails. Same result over and over. Most campaigns we setup for clients are automated and Mautic would be unusable to us if it required manual sending of segment emails.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris Blair

These errors are showing in the log:

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

I was able to figure this out. It IS in fact related to the SMTP service. Postmark (and other SMTP providers) adds a tracking pixel to emails if you enable it (it’s on by default). For some reason, when a campaign in sent in Mautic, this takes precedent and the Mautic tracking pixel isn’t recognized. Disable the Postmark tracking pixel and everything works as expected. I’ve read the same thing occurs in SendGrid and a couple other SMTP services that provide tracking pixel options, including AWS.

I have no reason why sending a segment email manually works regardless of how the tracking pixel is set in Postmark though :).

Hope this helps someone.

Chris Blair