2 important features Mautic is currently missing

I really like Mautic. You guys have done an amazing job getting it to where it is now.

However, Mautic is currently missing 2 important features

and that prevents me from switching my systems over to Mautic.

First: Mautic needs a proper double opt-in LINK feature (not just a workaround).

And it’s important that the double opt-in action is triggered by clicking a LINK (not by visiting a page).

I’ve described a quick and simple way to implement this feature here:

https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/1385-make-double-opt-in-an-in-built-feature/p1#p12678

Second:

Mautic needs an option that would allow a new contact to subscribe by sending an email to me.

So, instead of submitting a form, a new contact would send an email (with or without any content, doesn’t matter) to something like join@mydomain.com

This subscription method has several advantages over form submission.

And even though you don’t immediately get user’s IP address with email subscription, you can easily fetch and update user’s IP when the user clicks the confirmation link of the double opt-in.

Here are the advantages of an email subscription:

1a) No bounces resulting from typos in a subscription form and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.

1b) No bounces resulting from people maliciously typing in non-existing email addresses and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.

1c) No spam complaints resulting from people maliciously typing in an email that belongs to someone else and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.

(when the user has to send an email, I’ll always get a correct and working email address into my database)

2) Maximizes the chance of getting the primary email address of the user!

Many people these days have several email addresses. They use secondary emails for subscription forms and rarely check the inboxes of those secondary emails. But they check their primary email address every day.

If a user is forced to send me an email to subscribe, they’ll most likely send it from their primary email address.

3) If a new contact sends me an email to alex@mydomain.com in order to subscribe, they are sending me an email FIRST (before I use alex@mydomain.com as a sender to send them anything).

That’s yet another point that adds to a better reputation score with the ESPs i.e. improves my sender reputation score and thus improves the deliverability rate of my emails.

This also increases the chance that Gmail (as an example) will put the emails coming from me into the primary folder/tab and thus further improve the visibility of my emails.

So, the lack of the 2 important features described above prevents me from switching my systems to Mautic

and I really hope, you guys implement them soon.

Especially given the fact that both of those features can be implemented quickly and easily. @dbhurley

@dirk_s Really? I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

{pagelink=ID} is not just some link.
It’s a link to a specific landing page that the blog post is instructing us to create.
It’s not gonna work without that landing page.
And besides: I don’t want to create any landing pages with Mautic.
Ideally, I’d prefer to create all pages using WordPress and the WP theme that I have.
Creating pages outside WordPress and my WP theme would make them out of place and I’d lose some of the functionality that I have thanks to some powerful WP plugins.

But if indeed it tracks the link click rather than the page visit, then it should be even easier to adjust this to the industry standard which doesn’t require you to jump through lots of hoops just to add a confirmation link.

P.S. One of the other things that can be fetched and automatically entered into the DB with the email subscription is users name. Because usually, people have their full name combined with the sender email when they send an email from their personal email address (or an email address that has been assigned to them at their workplace).

So, subscription by email gets their primary email address AND their full name without the need for them to enter anything into a website form.
Plus, a simple algorithm could take the first word of the full name and assume that this is their first name. And enter that into the first name field.

And upon the user clicking the confirmation link, we’ll get the user’s IP address too. @dbhurley

@alexb the optin workaround is actually monitoring the clicked individual link thats send to the user, as far as I know.

I really like Mautic. You guys have done an amazing job getting it to where it is now.

However, Mautic is currently missing 2 important features
and that prevents me from switching my systems over to Mautic.

First: Mautic needs a proper double opt-in LINK feature (not just a workaround).
And it’s important that the double opt-in action is triggered by clicking a LINK (not by visiting a page).
I’ve described a quick and simple way to implement this feature here:
https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/1385-make-double-opt-in-an-in-built-feature/p1#p12678

Second:
Mautic needs an option that would allow a new contact to subscribe by sending an email to me.
So, instead of submitting a form, a new contact would send an email (with or without any content, doesn’t matter) to something like join@mydomain.com

This subscription method has several advantages over form submission.
And even though you don’t immediately get user’s IP address with email subscription, you can easily fetch and update user’s IP when the user clicks the confirmation link of the double opt-in.

Here are the advantages of an email subscription:
1a) No bounces resulting from typos in a subscription form and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.
1b) No bounces resulting from people maliciously typing in non-existing email addresses and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.
1c) No spam complaints resulting from people maliciously typing in an email that belongs to someone else and thus a better reputation score with the ESPs.
(when the user has to send an email, I’ll always get a correct and working email address into my database)

1. Maximizes the chance of getting the primary email address of the user!
    Many people these days have several email addresses. They use secondary emails for subscription forms and rarely check the inboxes of those secondary emails. But they check their primary email address every day.
    If a user is forced to send me an email to subscribe, they’ll most likely send it from their primary email address.

2. If a new contact sends me an email to alex@mydomain.com in order to subscribe, they are sending me an email FIRST (before I use alex@mydomain.com as a sender to send them anything).
    That’s yet another point that adds to a better reputation score with the ESPs i.e. improves my sender reputation score and thus improves the deliverability rate of my emails.
    This also increases the chance that Gmail (as an example) will put the emails coming from me into the primary folder/tab and thus further improve the visibility of my emails.

So, the lack of the 2 important features described above prevents me from switching my systems to Mautic
and I really hope, you guys implement them soon.

Especially given the fact that both of those features can be implemented quickly and easily. @dbhurley

Interesting…receiving an email from them would also allow seeing who their email service provider is in the email headers. Depending on the use case I can see it being helpful to know. Knowing an Email service provider may give hints that could help with marketing. Such as likely software/display they read email or if a large part of your email list is from one provider then you can research that provider to understand their filters more and plan accordingly. Of course if your list is mostly just consumer email accounts that end in @gmail or @msn then you could guess all that without seeing originating mail user agent in the email headers.