Double Opt In Email

My goal is to replace a free Mailchimp account with mautic. My mailchimp integration is basically just capturing email on a newsletter form and storing those contacts.

How I went about this in Mautic:

1. I created a custom lead field for double opt in. boolean.
  2. I created a landing page for confirmation of opt in.
  3. I created an email asking the user to confirm double opt in. This email has a single CTA linking to the landing page.
  4. I created a form to capture email. I set actions on the form to update the lead’s email field with that of the form. I set a second action on the form to send the confirmation email to the lead.

Running through this, the lead email field is updated and the confirmation email is sent. The confirmation email does contain the link to the landing page.

The problem is that I can’t figure out how to update the double opt in field on the lead to true when they hit the landing page. There are no actions for a landing page.

Assuming I’m doing something wrong and trying something else, I created a campaign with this same flow. Interesting the campaign let’s me modify lead lists. I’ll try just putting them in a double opt in list. I set up the campaign and publish it. I run through some tests and the campaign always says 0% for every step.

Am I trying to create a use case that is more advanced than the Beta? Am I missing something?

My goal is to replace a free Mailchimp account with mautic. My mailchimp integration is basically just capturing email on a newsletter form and storing those contacts.

How I went about this in Mautic:

1. I created a custom lead field for double opt in. boolean.
  2. I created a landing page for confirmation of opt in.
  3. I created an email asking the user to confirm double opt in. This email has a single CTA linking to the landing page.
  4. I created a form to capture email. I set actions on the form to update the lead’s email field with that of the form. I set a second action on the form to send the confirmation email to the lead.

Running through this, the lead email field is updated and the confirmation email is sent. The confirmation email does contain the link to the landing page.

The problem is that I can’t figure out how to update the double opt in field on the lead to true when they hit the landing page. There are no actions for a landing page.

Assuming I’m doing something wrong and trying something else, I created a campaign with this same flow. Interesting the campaign let’s me modify lead lists. I’ll try just putting them in a double opt in list. I set up the campaign and publish it. I run through some tests and the campaign always says 0% for every step.

Am I trying to create a use case that is more advanced than the Beta? Am I missing something?

Hi,

Right now, we do not have any mechanisms in place for triggering an action simply by visiting a landing page.

There are mechanisms in place to give a lead x number of points for visiting a landing page then it can be configured to trigger an action once a lead hits a certain number of points. But that won’t help your scenario.

There is only one way that I can think of and that is by using a second form. You’ll need to grab the latest code from github for this to work:

1. Create a second form that has an email and the double opt in fields.
  2. Add create lead submit action to the second form and map email and the double opt in field (the lead will be updated as long as the email matches)
  3. In your “confirm your subscription” email, add the landing page token for the page that has your double opt in form created in step 1. Double click on the link so you can edit the URL. You should see something like {pagelink=1} where 1 is the id of your landing page. Append &email={leadfield=email|true} to it so that it looks like {pagelink=1}&email={leadfield=email|true} The latest github code will replace {leadfield=email|true} with an url encoded email of the lead (the |true will now url encode the value). If the alias of your form field is something other than email, then change the &email= to match.

Ok, so now the work flow should look like this:

1. Lead goes to landing page with subscribe form and submits
  2. Lead is created and sent email with link to second landing page which includes the double opt in form.
  3. Lead clicks the link to confirm and is taken to the double opt in form where their email is already pre filled for them.
  4. Lead clicks “confirm” or whatever the submit button is labeled
  5. Mautic updates the lead with double opt in value and sends welcome email or whatever is defined

Does that make sense and will that work for your scenario?

Thanks
Alan

Makes sense. I’ll give it abtry as soon as I get a chance.

Alan, I like your thinking with this, in principle would you have to use Mautic landing page or could you use it on your website. What would the replacement for the token be in your email.

Hey Lance,

No, you wouldn’t have to use a Mautic landing page. You would just need to integrate the associated forms into your external pages by using one of our CMS plugins or by embedding the following where you want the form to appear:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://your.mautic.com/p/form/generate.js?id=1"></script>

where 1 is the ID of the form.

Thanks,
Alan

thanks I will try this

what would you use if you were using the “Manual Copy” of the form because the suggestion you have above is providing you bring the form back as Mautic presents it?

The manual copy would be if you want more control over the styling of the form. So you could pretty much make any change you want to the form HTML, as long as the action and input names remain the same.

Thanks!
Alan

(But that also means that you have to keep it manually updated if you make changes to the form.)

In regards to the double opt in scenario, I had forgot about this (so many hidden features I’ve forgotten about).

See https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/123-logged-in-users (the additional lead field support will be in next release where fields can be set to be publicly updatable via the /p/mtracking.gif query).

Thanks,
Alan

Hello,

Here’s an issue I’m having with pre-populating form data on a landing page…

*I have a form that captures firstname, lastname and email.
*I have a landing page constructed using the builder on to which I drag and dropped the above form
*I have an email constructed using the builder on to which I drag and dropped the landing page element link

I have edited the ‘link info’ of this link as follows:

{pagelink=4}&firstname={leadfield=firstname|true}&lastname={leadfield=lastname|true}&email={leadfield=email|true}

When I send this email to a test lead and click the link, only the firstname and lastname get pre-populated. The email field stays blank.

Through trial and error I have figured out that if I use a ‘text’ field within my form to capture the email rather than the pre-defined ‘Email’ field it does work!

However, the issue in doing this is that there is then no validation made on the format of the email text (it doesn’t insist on "name@example.com").

Basically it only seems to work for text definitions.

Any ideas for a fix/workaround?

Thanks

hi Craigbenstock,
Have you had any chance to fix this ? It seems no parameters are being passed (firstname/lastname/email) …

Can’t you use a tag to denote double opt-in?
The confirmation page adds a tag via the pixel image…
You could then filter as required against this tag.