double opt-in

Good morning!

I really love mautic! It’s a great tool!

Yesterday I already raised a ticket on this. for the hosted version of mautic. Because I switched to a selfhosted mautic I want to add this question here. Hope it doesn’t confuse.

When somebody submits a form I have to (by law) send him an email with the information that he subscribe and he has to click on a link to confirm his subscription.

Without this I’m not allowed to send him any further emails.

How can this be done in mautic?

Robert

Good morning!

I really love mautic! It’s a great tool!

Yesterday I already raised a ticket on this. for the hosted version of mautic. Because I switched to a selfhosted mautic I want to add this question here. Hope it doesn’t confuse.

When somebody submits a form I have to (by law) send him an email with the information that he subscribe and he has to click on a link to confirm his subscription.

Without this I’m not allowed to send him any further emails.
How can this be done in mautic?

Robert

Hey Robert,

I’m so sorry. I think I totally neglected to reply to your latest response on that ticket.

The only way we could really do this in Mautic right now is to follow what I suggested in https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/48-double-opt-in-email/0#p389

Although, we do need to provide something more “out of the box.” Would you mind creating it as a feature request at https://github.com/mautic/mautic/issues so that it doesn’t get lost in the forum?

Thanks!
Alan

Hi Alan,

I created a request at github but I was not able to mark this as feature request.

Your suggestion is good. One question: It is possible not to have the second landing page where the user have to submit his eMailadress again? It is possible to update the double optin value just because he visited the site?

Robert

Hi Robert,

At this point, I’m afraid not. We do not have a triggering action in place for just visiting a landing page unless it is in the context of a campaign or a point change action. So in addition to building in a double opt in feature, we should also add a campaign action to update a lead’s info. Then building a double opt in flow would be relatively easy as a campaign/form flow could be something like: lead submits form, form action adds lead to a “pending” lead list, campaign associated with “pending” lead list send opt in email, if landing page is visited (clicked to), change hidden double opt in lead field to true. I’ll get that added to our list as I think that would be a better option than the double form scenario. But I’ll have to get back to you on whether we can slip it in before the RC release; it is something needed since it does seem to be a common legal requirement.

As is, the only other way I can think of to prevent having to enter the email twice, is the following. Given I haven’t tested it yet but in theory should work :slight_smile:

When a lead clicks on the link from the email, the lead ID is embedded so that when they go back to Mautic, they should continue to be recognized as the same lead. I don’t think this will work for externally embedded forms though as the external page will not parse the parameters given to it and communicate back to Mautic. So we will have to look into that.

Anyway, if you have link to a form embedded into a Mautic page that just has a double opt in checkbox and a submit button, it should associate that form submission with the same lead. However, the results for the form will not show the lead (or be part of the results for the original form); rather you would have to use a “form submission” report to show which leads submitted the opt-in form.

If using an external page, you could try to use the scenario explained in that other post, but use a hidden field instead that is pre-populated with the email so it doesn’t feel like they have to enter it twice. But it is still a double form submit scenario.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,

thanks for your great support!

I’d like to wait until double optin is integrated - because, as you stated, it is legal requirement. Here in Germany we need the following entries in the user profile and database:

• subscription timestamp
  • IP address of the subscriber (the one submitted the form)
  • content of the optin mail
  • timestamp of confirmation
  • IP address of the people who klicks on th confirm link

This will make mautic a complaint solution together with the way you described.

After this I can move my lists to Mautic. And I’ll do that! Promised!

Robert

In regards to the double opt in scenario, I had forgot about this (so many hidden features I’ve forgotten about).

See https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/123-logged-in-users (the additional lead field support will be in next release where fields can be set to be publicly updatable via the /p/mtracking.gif query). Just wanted to post it as a this is coming reminder.

Still working on the campaign option.

Thanks,
Alan

Hello Alan,

congrats to RC2! Do you have any idea when double optin will be available?

Robert

Hi Robert,

We will look into an “official” double optin feature for 1.1 but you should be able to obtain the same result with a campaign. First create a landing page to serve as the “confirmation page” for opting in then an email with a link to that page using the page token {pagelink=id} where id is the id of the landing page (if using the email builder, just drag and drop the page onto the builder to auto insert the token). Create a custom lead field that will serve as the opt in indicator. Create a campaign that sends a the email with a link to a landing page. Connect the send email action to “visits a page” decision and select the “confirmation” landing page. Connect a “update lead” to the yes of the “visits a page” decision and update the double optin lead field with 1 or whatever you want the value to be (if using a boolean custom field, then it should be 1; if using text, then it’s whatever you want).

Could look something like http://cl.ly/image/1a2T0E3g1k1l/Image%202015-03-07%20at%202.05.14%20PM.png

Thanks,
Alan

Works great!

Hi guys,

Any idea when the 1.1 will be out? Or at least when the official double opt-in feature will be released?

I was not able to find roadmap yet.

Thank you!

Hello everybody,

I cannot find the documentation about the double-opt in feature which –according to Mautic’s message above– should be implemented by now.

I only found this blog-entry: https://www.mautic.org/blog/integrator/creating-a-double-opt-in-email-campaign/ but it was written 2015, when version 1.1 didn’t exist yet.

Can anybody point me to the right direction? That would be wonderful! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael

@tantebootsy Double opt-in functionality has not been added to Mautic yet. The blog entry you linked is still a valid method of accomplishing this. The screenshots are still very accurate, you’ll just find that some things have been renamed such as the “Set action timing” options.