Accented characters in mail from field

Your software
My Mautic version is: 3.1.2
My PHP version is: 7.4.11

Your problem
My problem is: I’m trying to use Áron as an email from name, but this is what I get when the email is delivered: �ron

Certainly some encoding issue, but I cant find anything related on the forums.

utf-8, unicode, special characters, accent, encoding

UPDATE:
(Any ideas how I could change the encoding of the from fields of the emails in Mautic?)
Seems like its an Amazon SES API issue.

“There are non-ASCII characters in the email address—The email address string must be 7-bit ASCII. If you want to send to or from email addresses that contain Unicode characters in the domain part of an address, you must encode the domain using Punycode. Punycode is not permitted in the local part of the email address (the part before the @ sign) nor in the “friendly from” name. If you want to use Unicode characters in the “friendly from” name, you must encode the “friendly from” name using MIME encoded-word syntax, as described in Sending raw email using the Amazon SES API. For more information about Punycode, see RFC 3492

common when UTF-8 is expected and ISO is found. The character is nulled essentially with �

Thanks @EJL How do you think I can tweak Mautic to solve this issue?

I am not aware of a way to tweak Mautic to solve it. There may be a localization you could apply to fix it but that may be an all or nothing proposition. I wish I could help more, but this isn’t within my wheelhouse.

I experience the same behaviour from Mautic.
Have you found a solution yet, or manually encoding the text is required?

I didnt find a proper solution so far. The only thing I could do is to change back to Amazon SES SMTP from Amazon SES API. The symptom only exists with the API sending.

1 Like

@Radek here comes the solution, hopefully in 3.2.2 :slight_smile: