Amazon SES configuration send email immediately

I connected to Amazon SES - API for sending emails from Mautic. However, I noticed a lot of slowness in sending emails from both campaigns and masses. I have the ability to send 150 emails / second with Amazon SES, but I can’t fully exploit this power.

My Amazon SES is also used for sending emails with other mechanisms besides Mautic.

Seeing the settings on the forum and on the web I noticed that many put “send immediately” instead of queue as send settings even if reading from the Mautic documentation it is recommended to use the queue (which I currently do).

I’m afraid that this is what slows down the sending, can you confirm me?

I also have other questions for you:

1. Could sending immediate email from Mautic to Amazon SES cause problems sending emails from other systems? I am afraid of exceeding the limit that I have available with Amazon SES and thus ruining my reputation
  2. Could sending direct emails slow down the system? Reading from the documentation on the site it seems to be recommended to use the queue, but seeing later tutorials on how to connect to Amazon SES they all use “send immediately”
1 Like

Hello David,

The 150/s is a limitation set by Amazon SES, but you need a pretty strong server to achieve it.

Queue processing will speed up the overall sending, because queue formation happens before.
So you will send in 2 steps (if you queue processing is set up right.)

1. Could sending immediate email from Mautic to Amazon SES cause problems sending emails from other systems? I am afraid of exceeding the limit that I have available with Amazon SES and thus ruining my reputation

Yes, that can happen. Don’t send too fast.

1. Could sending direct emails slow down the system? Reading from the documentation on the site it seems to be recommended to use the queue, but seeing later tutorials on how to connect to Amazon SES they all use “send immediately”

Don’t listen to those tutorials. Queuing is great. People Don’t understand how it works, and they are afraid to use it. This is why they recommend not to use it. This forum has multiple solutions about queue processing.

Read this conversation we had about a year ago:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I’m sure it will be the solution to my problems. I will let you know here if the operation was successful!

We’re in a similar situation. Server is plenty powerful enough but we can’t get past 6-8 emails/second in queue sending. We haven’t tried send immediately as of yet.

We did have this node setup as AWS SMTP initially (same rates), and just converted to the API with new keys, etc. Sends seem to be working, just not at any speed. Our AWS limit is 100 emails/sec.

Cron jobs are set to high limits to support 80+ emails/sec, just doesn’t send at that amount. Any other locations to control the per-second capability of the node other than the batch size in cron?

Anything to try here? Thanks!

I wonder if your server is strong enough to send faster with Mautic. Maybe you need to do a multi-thread method. Have more threads sending. I don’t have a tutorial for it at this point to explain how we are doing it. Mautic 5 will be sending faster with different technology, I’ll be happy to make one then

Hey @joeyk, thanks for responding.

It’s an 8 core, 32GB machine. I don’t see a lot of disk or CPU use during the send. It’s exactly the same send rate as before, so I’m curious if I set this via config or something else in the past.

I was thinking about standing up a local postfix instance to see if that sped things up from an SMTP perspective instead.

Do SES API sends have to be “Send Immediate”? or the Queue method also works?

Queueing helps you to pregenerate the emails, so your send command will only need to do the sending.
Email sending will change in Mautic soon, but you should look into multi thread sending.

Instead I just stood up a postfix SMTP server on the same machine that uses AWS SES as an upstream. Now sending at 60+/second via SMTP.

I suggest anyone to bypass mautic sending emails. Just let it build emails to queue to a real mail server.

1 Like