Best practices for using segments, tags and categories

Hi,

Mautic offers several ways on structuring contacts: segments, tags and categories (and of course custom fields). As my contact list is growing and marketing action frequencies will also grow, I want to implement a strategy to be future-proof for structuring contacts.

What is your strategy? In which case do you use which structuring element? Are there best practices?

Thank you,

Peter

Hi,

Mautic offers several ways on structuring contacts: segments, tags and categories (and of course custom fields). As my contact list is growing and marketing action frequencies will also grow, I want to implement a strategy to be future-proof for structuring contacts.

What is your strategy? In which case do you use which structuring element? Are there best practices?

Thank you,

Peter

I would love to know how others structure their contacts. I’m sorting through that now.

Thanks @MxyzptlkFishStix, the article is truly brilliant!

Is see a lot of clearer now. I am currently working with a mixture of lists and tags with a tendency to tags. The master point for me is that tags have the personal focus because they are added on a contact level - lists are more “global”. I accomplish my double opt-in process with lists, almost everything else is done with tags.

Some things to be considered in Mautic (currently):

• You cannot use tags as source for campaigns. You need to create a list/segment with tag filter as workaround.
  • If you want to do more complex filtering, you need a list to encapsulate it.
  • You cannot use tags to create dynamic email content, you need to do it with categories.
  • (Global) categories are a relatively new thing in Mautic. It seems that they not only intended to group associated elements (campaigns, forms, …) but to be used thematically.

Mautic’s strategy behind categories is not clear for me. I think I remember a feature request in Git which combines categories with an automated double opt-in functionality (where categories represent different opt-ins). Additionally, only categories can be used to evaluate dynamic email content so far.

Hi @peterl
just came across your thread, and have a similar question: trying to find best practices for segments/tags/campaign structure.

you wrote: " * If you want to do more complex filtering, you need a list to encapsulate it." => what do you mean exactly? creating a segment with these several filters?

Where is the article shared by @MxyzptlkFishStix that is “truly brilliant” ? It doesn’t appear in the thread anymore.
thanks!