Bounces & Sendgrid

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there was a guide somewhere for setting up bounce detection when sending with Sendgrid.

Thanks!

I set Sengrid to forward bounces to a special email address that I set up in ā€œMonitored Inbox Settingsā€, but itā€™s still not flagging the leads as bounced. I did set up the cron as followed:

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php /home/XXXXXX/public_html/crm/app/console mautic:leadlists:update --env=prod >/dev/null 2>&1

Not sure what else to do.

It looks like the bounces forwarded by Sendgrid arenā€™t being recognized by Mautic. This is what happens after receiving a bounce notification from Sendgrid:

php app/console mautic:fetch:email

1 emails processed for {localhost:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX_bounces@XXXX.com

php app/console mautic:leadlists:update

Rebuilding leads for list 1
0 total lead(s) to be added in batches of 300
total lead(s) to be removed in batches of 300
0 lead(s) affected

Rebuilding leads for list 2
0 total lead(s) to be added in batches of 300
0 total lead(s) to be removed in batches of 300
0 lead(s) affected

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there was a guide somewhere for setting up bounce detection when sending with Sendgrid.

Thanks!

Sendgrid I believe allows you to set your bounceback monitored email address. I know you can configure monitored addressā€™s in Configuration -> Email Settings -> Monitored Inbox Settings.

I did a quick search, but all I found was API documentation for sendgrid.

Good luck.

+1, would like a solution to this as well.

Apologies for bumping an ancient thread but I canā€™t find an answer anywhere - did anyone ever find a fix or a workaround for this?

Did you take a look at the documentation here: https://www.mautic.org/docs/en/emails/bounce_management.html? It does mention Sendgrid with some steps to set things up.

1 Like

Hey Ruth,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have made multiple posts about this over the past couple weeks to no avail unfortunately to the point where I am now completely stuck as to why this doesnā€™t work.

It is listed on the bounce management page obviously suggesting that it has been tested and is functional however I havenā€™t had one person turn round and say it works to me yet.

I have posted two threads in the forums thus far and posted a bug report on github.

I am completely at a loss for how this works now and any help would be hugely appreciated!

@rcheesley - if you could forward this to the appropriate channels and make the issue known that would be amazing as I have been working on this for days and the monitored inbox is far less reliable than the webhook.

Please let me know if you need anymore details of my install, filesystem, logs etc and I will be more than happy to provide this info - this is the last hurdle Iā€™m facing to have a 100 % self sufficient Mautic install so am anxious to get this fixed!

Thank you guys, much appreciated!

My Mautic Version - 2.15.3
PHP - 7.2.22

• My mautic instance is running on ā€˜mautic.mydomain.comā€™
  • My VPS is hosted with RunCloud, root directory filepath is ā€˜/home/runcloud/webapps/Mauticā€™

I do genuinely wonder now if itā€™s because of the filepath or the fact that Mautic is installed in a subdirectory but these are still just guesses!

Spoke to Sendgrid customer support and part of their reply was -

Regarding posting to the endpoint: Iā€™m only seeing one attempt from our side on 10/12/19 at 1:45:57.884 PM MDT. This was a successful post. You should be good to go once you enable the webhook again and send more mail.

This matches up to the data in my Sendgrid logs so I know for a fact that the data is being sent to Mautic, therefore I can only conclude that it is a processing issue on Mautics side.

Hello Mauticians
I want to have my bounced emails of sendgrid into mautic do you have a guide for this ?

https://www.mautic.org/docs/en/emails/bounce_management.html

The webhook still doesnā€™t work as of 2.15.3 unlese there is something wrong with my setup.

I have gone through all the steps listed, have tested the headers in Sendgrid and the test data is being sent by Sendgrid so thatā€™s all fine.

When I check the callback URL (http://your.mautic.com/mailer/sendgrid_api/callback) I get the ā€˜successā€™ message in the top left.

I have had bounces come through which are listed on Sendgrid, yet the contacts are still not being updated in Mautic (I assume to ā€˜Do Not Contactā€™), which I have checked thoroughly to no avail.

My mautic instance is installed in a subdomain (mautic.mydomain.com) and the filepath to the Mautic installation is - /home/runcloud/webapps/Mautic - as Iā€™m using RunCloud as my third-party cPanel for VPS.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as Iā€™ve scoured the internet for hours upon hours and am really struggling to find a solution and it would be incredible if I could get the webhook to work succesfully!

Many thanks!

Your software
My Mautic version is: 2.15.0
My PHP version is: 7.2.22

Your problem
My problem is: I have taken the necessary steps to enable bounce management via the Sendgrid webhook - https://www.mautic.org/docs/en/emails/bounce_management.html - and when testing my target URL - http://mautic.masidus.com/mailer/sendgrid_api/callback - I am receiving the ā€˜successā€™ message but my contacts are not being marked in anyway, Iā€™m getting no feedback in the logs and I am at a serious loss as to why this is happening!

These errors are showing in the log: There are no errors in the log at all. When I was still getting errors for ignore_user_abort variable, every time I would send test data using the option on Sendgrid, I would get a note in the log with the same time just warning that ignore_user_abort was disabled for security reasons, meaning Mautic should be receiving the appropriate data but I canā€™t seem to find it anywhere.

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: Different callback URIs, checking logs, implemented a fix from one of the developers where a string for 2.15.0 was wrong which prompted the original ā€˜successā€™ message. Iā€™ve heard that this is an issue for other people and Iā€™m really struggling to find a solution. Had to install 2.15.0 as 2.15.1/2.15.2 were both bugged and the installer never finished, confirmed by other Mauticers and my hosting management provider.

Thank you for your time! :slight_smile:

Hi folks,

Iā€™m moving a bunch of threads to do with SendGrid and bounces into one, so that they arenā€™t scattered all over the place. Hold on to your hats :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Ruth youā€™re a diamond, thank you so much for your reply and youā€™re the first person to take definitive action on this so huge appreciation for that!

*grasps hat firmly in both hands

1 Like

Iā€™ve now merged all the relevant threads into this post, so hopefully we can get everybody talking in the same place! The Github issue was also mentioned above so Iā€™ve added this forum thread as a comment there in case any devs pick it up.

Iā€™ll take a look and see if I can replicate the issue once Iā€™m done with the PR test Iā€™m just doing. Thanks for all the detailed descriptions of what youā€™ve tried so far!

1 Like

Are you using the API or SMTP settings in your global config in Mautic? Just so I can ensure my setup mirrors yours :slight_smile:

@rcheesley Thank you for keeping an eye on this issue.
Hereā€™s another Sendgrid API issues you might want to add to the list:

1 Like

Hi Ruth,

Using the Sendgrid API for sending, if you need any other details feel free to hit me up!

Thank you

1 Like