Evaluating Mautic self hosting

Your software
My Mautic version is: v3.3.3
My PHP version is: PHP 7.2.24-0
My Database type and version is: mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.34

Your problem
We are an aerospace supplier which has extensive cyber security restrictions. We are trying to find a self hosted CRM to work with Ubuntu 18.04 Mate to replace the old Windows self hosted ACT! CRM installed on each salesman laptop. Can we run self hosted Mautic on secured encrypted dedicated user laptops (Ubuntu 18.04 Mate) for each salesman?

We tried to install on a test PC the index.php comes up blank. We obviously are new to Linux so please accept our apologies for our inexperience.

These errors are showing in the log: N/A

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: Tried to install on local Ubuntu 18.04 Mate installation.

Hi @dhampikian

To answer your question - yes I think you can install it on a secured dedicated user laptop. My question is why would you want a separate instance of Mautic on each sales persons computer ?
In linux Ubuntu you will need to have a web server installed locally as well then… either apache2/nginx.

Maybe you can explain your use case and then we can better recommend whether or not to use Mautic.

For a comprehensive installation guide check out this article: Install Mautic Self-Hosted Email Marketing on Ubuntu 18.04 Server

We have two outside salesmen, one in LA and one in Phoenix. They use the old ACT! software on their individual notebook computers running Windows 10. Our need is for customer sales management for these two individuals. We do not need or want a cloud based system. They use their laptops in the field to prepare for and document their sales efforts. As a company we are totally Unix (Ubuntu 18.04 Mate) except for these two computers running ACT!. We want to move all computers to Ubuntu 18.04 Mate. Windows is extremely insecure likewise cloud based systems don’t satisfy the security issues we need to comply with. We serve military OEMs and have very strict cyber security guidelines. These guidelines are getting even more restrictive. We are trying to meet these ever tightening rules.We need to comply with NIST SP 800-171 security requirements…160 pages of guidelines. For example, dual level passwords, complex passwords (14 char, 2 numbers, 2 lower case letters, two upper case letters, two special characters, no dictionary words) that change monthly, encrypted computers, physical constraints…the list goes on…). We have to replace our present VPN with a more secure one to protect our servers in Phoenix and Los Angeles. What we are looking for is a simple sales management system that is not open to the web and can be tightly monitored and extremely secure.

I was hoping that we could run Mautic on an individual machine basis. Can we run it in a stand alone basis and not as as web based application?

If you know of any other software that might fit our needs we would be grateful for the recommendation.recommendation

Hi
Yes you can definitely run it as stand alone IMO. As mentioned before all you need to do is have a local web server running on the machine maybe even something less heavy like MAMP, follow the install instructions in link provided above and you should be good to go.

how many contacts on average will each salesman manage on a local install?

For testing purposes have a look at Install Mautic, Download Mautic

Its an all in one mautic installer for windows or linux that would probably get you up and running the quickest. It includes the “stack” you would need like apache, sql server, phpadmin ect

1 Like

For me Mautic seems like an overkill for this. 90% of the features are unavailable if you run it in a local environment. I would look at Odoo as open source CRM.

2 Likes