How does bounce and unsubscribe management work?

I’m in the process of setting up bounce and unsubscribe management, and I am curious to know if anyone has both of these features working.

I’d like to know how you setup the configuration, and also ask you a few questions regarding the exact actions Mautic takes upon identifying a bounced email (or unsubscribe request).

As of now, I do know how to setup my monitored inbox in configuration/settings (have tested it and it says “success”) - and I’ve added the mautic:fetch:email CRON job on my back end - but I’m not clear how these features actually operate when triggered.

For instance, does a bounced lead get subscribed automatically from all lists? Or just from one list? Or from none at all? Does the system prevent any future emails from being sent to that lead? Basically, how is the lead modified/handled once it’s identified as a bounce?

Furthermore, how exactly does the unsubscribe feature work? Currently I’m using an unsubscribe form that users can access from a hyperlink at the bottom of my emails. Is the unsubscribe feature setup to identify email replies that request removal from the list? If so, what is the criteria? Does it just look for the word “unsubscribe” somewhere in the email body? I’m a bit confused on this.

I feel like maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve searched high and low and cannot seem to find any documentation that details exactly what happens within Mautic in these situations.

I’m in the process of setting up bounce and unsubscribe management, and I am curious to know if anyone has both of these features working.

I’d like to know how you setup the configuration, and also ask you a few questions regarding the exact actions Mautic takes upon identifying a bounced email (or unsubscribe request).

As of now, I do know how to setup my monitored inbox in configuration/settings (have tested it and it says “success”) - and I’ve added the mautic:fetch:email CRON job on my back end - but I’m not clear how these features actually operate when triggered.

For instance, does a bounced lead get subscribed automatically from all lists? Or just from one list? Or from none at all? Does the system prevent any future emails from being sent to that lead? Basically, how is the lead modified/handled once it’s identified as a bounce?

Furthermore, how exactly does the unsubscribe feature work? Currently I’m using an unsubscribe form that users can access from a hyperlink at the bottom of my emails. Is the unsubscribe feature setup to identify email replies that request removal from the list? If so, what is the criteria? Does it just look for the word “unsubscribe” somewhere in the email body? I’m a bit confused on this.

I feel like maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve searched high and low and cannot seem to find any documentation that details exactly what happens within Mautic in these situations.