Importing Records with IP addresses

Hi, I’m new to Mautic but it looks incredibly powerful and in just a short time throughly impressed!

I’m considering a move from a another Automation software, and can output all my records including their IP address when i do so. Is there a way for me to import these records with that IP Data? Right now anonymous traffic appears in reports with IPs in the name field, so I wouldn’t want to put the data in there?

But is there any value bringing the IP data in if the individual hasn’t clicked through a tracked link from a campaign? Would Mautic be able to identify an individual based soley on their IP address if it’s know in my contacts list?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi, I’m new to Mautic but it looks incredibly powerful and in just a short time throughly impressed!

I’m considering a move from a another Automation software, and can output all my records including their IP address when i do so. Is there a way for me to import these records with that IP Data? Right now anonymous traffic appears in reports with IPs in the name field, so I wouldn’t want to put the data in there?

But is there any value bringing the IP data in if the individual hasn’t clicked through a tracked link from a campaign? Would Mautic be able to identify an individual based soley on their IP address if it’s know in my contacts list?

Thanks for any insight.

Are you sure the IP address is stored in the name field? Take a look in the lead edit form. Anonymous leads show IP as a name because there is no other information we have about them yet.

Yes, you can import leads from a CSV file from the lead manager. IP address is also importable.

Again, IP addresses are not in the name field (or really shouldn’t be). So you can import their names to the name fields without any problem.

I don’t understand what is the point of those questions. How the tracking works? That’s a long story. The best way how to understand the tracking algorithm is to take a look at the source code which is quite easy in case of Mautic since it is open source project.

Thanks for the reply! Very helpful.

Hello, I have a database with contacts and their IP addresses as well in Salesforce (IP was collected over the past several years via form submissions). I have a self hosted copy of Mautic.

I have the IP address for ABC Company, I would like to setup an email alert that comes to me when ABC Company visits the site again. I see I can import lead data, including IP but I wanted to confirm a few things before trying since I couldn’t find an existing CSV template.

1. When I prepare my import file do I use the alias as the column header? Ex: title, firstname, lastname, company, etc.
    1.1) If yes, what do I label the IP address field as? I see a field name of ip_address in the MySQL database but not on the Manage Fields screen.
    1.2) I’m assuming I need to ad ip_address as a field on this screen but wanted to confirm the name before doing anything.

2. Will doing this only add new entries or will it tie together the IP address of historical anonymous traffic (I installed Mautic early November) to the account name I import?
    2.1) If not, can this be done in a different way?

Thank you for your thoughts and for creating Mautic!

@screenmachine - All will be clear once you start the import process. I played it safe and started with a small set of records so i could validate things went to the right place and could delete if they were’t correct. The import process involves a complete field mapping… and shows IP address and a few other fields that you don’t see in manage fields. Be sure to add and custom fields you need.

For question 2. I’m not sure what would happen… if records would auto-update or not. Since you have MySQL access, perhaps you should consider exporting your current records and then using the Unique Key for the records in the import so you can update rather than overwrite records. Just a thought.

Hello, I have a similar situation to @screenmachine in that I have some external data that I would like to merge with Mautic. I would like to update the anonymous Mautic leads with company names from the external source, partly because Geo location is not working. Is there a way to export the anonymous leads, and add data to them before importing them back again?

My suggestion is to build a plugin which would do that and possibly provide such plugin to the community. I just tested the MaxMind GeoIP2 City Download (the free geoIP lookup which downloads the database locally) and it works.