Mail builder WYSIWYG (CKEditor) is finicky and unreliable

Your software
My Mautic version is: 5.0.3
My PHP version is: 8.1.27
My Database type and version is: mariadb Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.6.16-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper

Your problem
My problem is: The WYSIWYG editor in the email builder closes when you click outside the modal, losing changes. In some cases, all the contents are lost. I need to constantly save the contents to the clipboard to keep a backup.

These errors are showing in the log:

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

You would probably get better results posting your comment on the project github (GrapeJS isn’t affiliated with Mautic)

Github page:

GrapesJS doesn’t use CKEditor. Mautic uses CKEditor in a modal to edit the content of GrapesJS blocks. This modal can be closed by clicking outside.

I assume Mautic uses CKEditor to make it possible to include merge tags easily.

It would have been less error-prone to go with GrapesJS only. It supports rich-text editing inside DOM elements.

Good to know.

In that case you would need to investigate on that CKEditor project.

Still, in any case, wysiwyg editors were always bad at best - ahahah.

1 Like

I agree on WYSIWYG. They’ve always been a source of terrible markup since they manipulate the DOM and then generate HTML from it. But editors like Tiptap generate JSON which can be rendered as clean HTML – ideal for headless CMS. It’s a massive improvement.

Thanks for sharing (I’m also shopping for a better html builder. Doing my best to remain neutral on the subject. But Ooh! that one is bad - ahahah)

2 Likes